Speaker upgrade £200 to £400

kidloco46

Established Member
Reaction score
I know its not the biggest budget in the world but I was wondering what would be best in this price range. it will be used with the following

Cyrus III amp
Marantz cd63 mk2 KI sig cd

At present I amcurrently running a set of mission 751 on sand filled actama stands. I love the sound they give. detailed, taut bass etc but I just wont more from them.

I spoke to my local Hi-Fi shop and he said I would have to spend at least £500 to get a set new speakers that would give me a noticable differance in quality. he reccomended some focal Jmlab £500 floorstanders, i cant remember the model number.

I think they are slightly over my budget, unless I saved a little. I dont mind looking at second hand stuff if its going to get me a quality product. So far I have been looking at

MONITOR AUDIO SILVER S6

MISSION 753

Monitor Audio Silver RS6

As you can see, all the above models are floor standers. Im not against the idea of getting stand mounters again, its just I dont want to have to get a huge standmount to get the sound I want when a nice slim floor stander will give the same if not better.

Could anyone tell me if im going in the right direction or if I should be looking at other models.

Cheers

I would also audition the following;

Epos M5 & M12.2: £350/450
PMC DB1+: £675 - These are f***ing awesome
Castle Compact Column: £550
Monitor Audio RS1: £350

Crustyloafer said:
I would also audition the following;

Epos M5 & M12.2: £350/450
PMC DB1+: £675 - These are f***ing awesome
Castle Compact Column: £550
Monitor Audio RS1: £350

With regards to the RS1's, I'd probably strike this one off the list for the bass. With what Kidloco is saying the deeper bass is important. Much as I love my RS1's, I will be getting a set of RS6's this weekend for the deeper bass.

The RS1's are great though, the others on this list I haven't listed to.

Mission 783 ****Must have Mk2 drivers in**** would be a great option and for £400 or less 2nd hand they're sheer quality which may well be worth a look.

Dan.

Keep em coming.

Really like the look of epos bookshelfs, but I cant see it being that much ov an improvemnt over the 751's

Bass is important. but it has to be well controlled bass. tight and snappy, I have seen a set of the mission 783's , they do look fantastic. and I do have a soft spot for mission speakers.

I suspect the Focal JM Labs of which you speak are the Chorus 716. My father has a pair of them driven by an NVA Pre/pro with a heavily modded Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player. They'll definitely give you more bottom end than the 751s and, once run in, the tweeter is an absolute gem - comfortably as detailed as the 751/753 unit but never trips over the edge into harshness. We've driven them with a number of amps and they're quite a benign load ,although like any decent speaker, they'll love you if you were to add a PSX-R to the Cyrus III. Have you considered that as an upgrade?

Russell

Yeah, Iv always had my eye on gettin hold of PSX-R for my amp, Keep waiting for my local hi-fi shop to get a 2nd hand one in. As they very kindly loan me stuff to try before I buy

Would be interested to hear the differance it would make. 2nd hand prices arnt far off new prices for them though. crazy

kidloco46 said:
Keep em coming.

Really like the look of epos bookshelfs, but I cant see it being that much ov an improvemnt over the 751's

Bass is important. but it has to be well controlled bass. tight and snappy, I have seen a set of the mission 783's , they do look fantastic. and I do have a soft spot for mission speakers.

The 783's fit the bill. Friend of nmine has these and they are awesome. Bass is very controlled and goes quite deep. They also have built-in subs (active? not sure), though I haven't heard them with subs in use as he has a seperate sub he normally uses with them.

There was a fault with the original Mk1 drivers and they would completely fail. Friend of min had most of his drivers replaced. If you decide on these you should take a closer look into the speaker forum here for the term '783' and find out more info.
They are not worth getting with the Mk1 drivers as so prone to failure. (Ferro-fluid leakage inside driver itself if I remember rightly). With Mk2 drivers they perform just as well (like a dream), and will be reliable for years to come.

Most 783's you see online will probably have mk2 drivers on them as they probably would have failed already otherwise. Make sure you confirm the mk2 drivers or contact mission with serial numbers of seller's unit if not sure.

Oh and if you're wondering between Monitor Audio RS6 and Mission 783, I should be able to give some sort of comparison around Tuesday :devil:

Dan.

oh well I have finnally decided to stick with Stand mounters. Just didnt fancy binning off my stands just yet. Although I came damn close after seeing and hearing some MA RS6, damn they were nice. but I need a holiday and the £600 would have kissed goodbye to that so I went looking second hand.

Just managed to bag a set of B & W CDM1 for £250, they are the speakers I wanted to buy when I bought my 751's but just didnt have the cash. Hopefully they should arive this week :D

As for my trusty 751's dont know what to do with them. only just had the drive units replaced with brand new original mission units at a cost of £80 so I dont think selling them is an option. I saw a set of em go on ebay for £36, that is a complete joke for such a qualty sounding speaker. Proberbly end up giving them to my dad, at least he will appriciate them.

cant wait for the new arrivals, will post on the improvments, of which I hope there will be LOTS :clap:

well they arirved today, i have spent the last 3 hours comparing them back to back with the old mission 751s

now to be honest I am not as gob smacked by the quality of CDM1 as I thought I would be, or maybe it just goes to show what a fantastic speaker the 751 still is.

The B&Ws certainly have the upper hand with bass and richness of sound, they sound simply HUGE, but when it comes down to detail and focus im not to sure. the Missions sound just fantastic acoustic stuff, and allthough they havent got the outright bass depth of the B&Ws they are alot snappier.

The sound of the B&Ws is growing on me, vocals sound amazing and the soundstage is seemless. I didnt realise just how accurate the sound was till I put 'what a wonderful world' on, I listened to it on the missions first and I thought it was good, flipping over to the B&Ws his voice showed every charecter that he was famous for. amazing.

I think the main thing is getting used to all the extra bass, im simply not used to it. I think I need to play around with the positioning etc as well, I currently have them around 25cms away from the wall, slightly toed in. any suggestions from people that have these speakers would be greatly appriciated.

Im also looking at maybe getting a PSX-R for my CyrusIII amp, i think that may get the bass under control a little better ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom