Speaker Types

marvinwright1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my home cinema setup soon. Its been a while since I followed all this, its hard to keep up.

My current system is a Pioneer A300 Precision amp with a Yamaha DSP-A592 processor, the speakers are all Acoustic Energy, AE109 for fronts, AE107 center, AE100i rears and a Yamaha sub. My Sony DVD has a built in 5.1 decoder.

I'll probably be upgrading all of my kit so I wont make this thread too much by asking everthing all in one go.

Firstly as this is the speaker section I'd like to know what people's preference's are for sound quality to either having small satellite speakers or full hifi speakers like I already have. As I said it been a while since I've dabbled in this stuff, before Bose were the only ones with decent small speakers but I dont think they really cut it against similar priced full size speakers. Now there are so many of these types to pick from.

Personally for convenience I'd like to go for the small speakers that can be hidden away but if they dont sound as good then I'm not so keen.

What are your thoughts ?

Regards,

Marvin.

My personal preference is for stand mounted speakers with a decent subwoofer. No point paying for extra drivers etc in a more expensive to build and more difficult to site floorstander if you are going to cut off the low frequesncies below 80Hz and feed them to a sub

Hi,

Do you think its really worth me getting rid of the AE109's then or are these still good enough ?

Cheers.

Marvin.

I must admit that I have never heard them so would rather that comments came in from people who had.

I'd keep your existing speakers, maybe look at the subwoofer for a change, but put the amp up for change first.
The Speakers you've got are good and will sound fantastic!
Which DVD is it?
If it's a good DVD then I'd change the amp first, Alot of things have changed there.

Hi,

The DVD is quite old, the model is Sony DVP-S725D Multi-Region.
I find this DVD is very bad at losing the picture/sound syncronisation. It gets off track in pretty much all of my DVD's.

Which amp do you suggest I change ? The Yamaha or the Pioneer ?

Also is it best to keep them seperate like I have now or are the all in one box ones better for music nowadays, e.g. like a big Yamaha or Denon or something ?

Cheers,

Marvin.

I have a Sony 725. A great DVD. There was a recent thread devoted to it and there was general agreement that even today it was hard to beat. Known problems with lip-sync which you seem to have, can be cured with an upgrade.

I would suggest that the DVD is probably holding its own, with the discs it currently plays, and so would look elsewhere to start the buying :clap:

i use the 725 too and you'd be looking about £600 + to equal the dvd playback, fair enough you'd get sacd and dvda etc...
but it certainley isn't the weak point of the system!!

Hi,

Thanks for the info, how can I upgrade it.
The lip sync is the only problem I have with it, if that can be cured I'm a very happy bunny :)

Cheers.

Marvin.

Originally posted by marvinwright1
Thanks for the info, how can I upgrade it.
The lip sync is the only problem I have with it

Denon 3803 has delay facility to fix lipsync.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom