1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Tweaks

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Momo, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Momo

Momo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to update a pair of old circa 1985 Mercury M20's.
    Does any one know of a source in the UK of the current absorbent material that is used for the internal lining of speaker boxes. Guess I could try Tannoy direct !!!!!!!
    I notice as well that the internal wiring is rather flimsy........is it worth replacing it with a thicker one ? I have some Cable Talk 3 spare that I could use but am not sure of the results I will get ?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thicker cable is always a good thing in my book. You can solder it very carefully to the bass driver terminals though spade connectors are safer and still give good connection. Always use spades for the tweeter as you can easily damage it with the heat.

Try running the speaker without any filling first as it can sometimes improve the sound and save you some money. Another way is to damp the cabinet with bitumous damping pads or similar. Are the Tannoys reflex loaded speakers in which case they shouldn't be stuffed with filling. Maybe a bit of foam behind the port to reduce reasonance and some behind the bass driver for reflections off the back cabinet wall.

Have fun.

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10