1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker termination options

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chez, May 16, 2003.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Before I start - I don't want to get into a debate about whether cables affect sound quality - I believe that they do and if you disagree, you don't have to read on (no offence, I'm just a bit sick of getting flamed for my beliefs!)

OK -

I have a 2.5m pair of Nordost Blue Heaven Bi-wire Speaker Cable, which I bought second hand.

It came factory fitted with 16 Nordost pins. I want to have these replaced with Nordost Z-Plugs (banana plugs).

I contacted a Nordost Dealer for a price and was quoted £75, using original Nordost Z-Plugs and Nordost branded red & blue Heatshrink.

I then contacted another Nordost Dealer who will terminate it using z-plugs (not Nordost) using generic black & red heat shrink for £59

Lastly, I contacted Nordost UK and spoke to Dave Sprake (the MD), who quoted £167, saying that the difference in cost reflected the quality of termination and that Nordost would do a much better job than any dealer can.

Is this true? Can there be that much difference in quality of termination to warrant the extra outlay?

I would prefer them to look original (with the nordost heatshrink), so am tempted to go for the £75 option. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
    Chez

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I think you've answered your own question.

You want them to look original and clearly don't want to pay the IMO excessive price from Nordost UK.

Sorted..... £75

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Alternatively about £3 for 2 pairs from www.ardelectronics.com ... won't look original but will work fine.

Vikki

4. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Will expensive terminations really make all that difference? I would have to agree with Sounddogs's advice.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    But Chez didn't want a debate.

Personally I use spade terminals where I can and banana where I can't. Soldered because I like it that way. :smoke:

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Are the z-plugs crimped or soldered?

7. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks guys.

I can understand why some people would usae cheap plugs, but I may want to sell these at a later date (when I find some SPM cheap!), so it would be best for them to be done with the right plugs.

Avanzato - I do think that the price Nordost quoted is an absolute rip-off, I'm just not sure whether they would do a better job than a dealer would.

If I knew that the job could be done equally well for less money, I would obviously choose that option, but Nordost claim that nobody can re-terminate them to anywhere near the standard that they can. But then again, this could just be them trying to get the money!

ReTrO - I'm not sure to be honest.