Speaker System for New Room: B&W / M&K / Dynaudio

Edgeyboy

I am putting the finishing touches to my new room and am ready to look at speakers.

In my old cinema, I had KEF THX speakers (5.1) running off a Denon 1sr. It sounded fantastic for films but not so great for music.

In our new house, I have a pair of B&W N804s / Arcam FMJ hifi in the living room for pure CD / SACD / radio 2 channel listening. No more speakers allowed in here !

The other room will house a 6ft Stewart, Marantz S3 or Sim2 DLP or HS20, Yamaha Z9, Pioneer 868.

This room will be used 2/3 films / 1/3 multi channel music.

So, I need a good speaker package. The room is fairly small: 4.5 x 4.2 m with corridor off.

My shortlist is:

B&W 704/HTM7/DS7/ ASW750
M&K S150 x 3 (SH) / SS150 (SH)/ Velodyne DD or M&K Sub
Dynaudio ??
PMC ??

Have I missed any other obvious packages / combinations that people use and like?

Budget £5000 max

Your help is required and most appreciated !

Tom.

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by Edgeyboy
My shortlist is:

B&W 704/HTM7/DS7/ ASW750
M&K S150 x 3 (SH) / SS150 (SH)/ Velodyne DD or M&K Sub
Dynaudio ??
PMC ??
It doesn't matter which sub you put with which speakers. Personally I would rule out the M&K on the grounds that whilst the top end are great subs they are also very expensive. I know that I have mentioned it on more than one occasion but you really cannot beat SVS for value now that the dollar is so weak and that will leave you more to spend on the main speakers.

The M&K and B&W speakers are completely opposite so if you like one you won't like the other. The Bristol show wasn't the best place to audition speakers as the acoustics were dreadful but we heard some good stuff from PMC and Dynaudio, a lovely pair of standmounts from Totem that will be hitting the shops about now at £900 the pair and a truly excellent pair of Pro-Ac speakers at £2,500 which won our "Best of Show" award.

With that amount to spend one would hope that you will devote a lot of time to auditioning so as well as the "usual suspects" please just waste an hour of your time to take in some Totem and Pro-Ac products as well and I'm sure you won't be sorry.

Edgeyboy

Hi Ian

Thanks for the comments.

I have been told by others too to avoid top of the range M&K subs - good but overpriced with a little too much distortion.

When you say, M&K and B&W are completely opposite, could you clarify ?

I had a brief listen to the 704s and 705s today. I thought they sounded good but the top end was perhaps a little pronounced, or maybe I have to get used to that.

Tom.

SamirP

Hi Edgeyboy
If you like the N804's, why not look at 2 pairs of N805's with HTM2 and ASW750 :)

Matt F

I'd suggest adding Monitor Audio's to your audition list, in particular their Gold Reference range - been running the GR10 standmounts and GR centre for a fair while now - difficult to fault them for movies or music. They do matching di/bipole rears which are fantastic if a little pricey. The fronts and centre however can be picked up ex-dem at good prices - check the Sevenoaks sale.

One thing with multi channel music - you may want to go for speakers with a decent bass response rather than satellites due to the shortcomings/lack of flexibility in the DVD-A/SACD bass management offerred by many players.

Matt.

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by Edgeyboy
When you say, M&K and B&W are completely opposite, could you clarify ?
M&K are very cold and analytical and many people will not like them for music for that reason.

My musical tastes seem to have remained rooted in the seventies and I have a Steely Dan DVD called Two Against Nature which is a fairly recent concert recorded in DTS.

This disc is excellent for demonstrating speakers as firstly, the introduction will test the mettle of any subwoofer but more importantly, Donald Fagan's voice is a lot more strained that it used to be when he was younger and on my M&K speakers it is so bright that it quickly becomes tiring to listen to.

dts_boy

i too will say M&K and monitor audio gold reference range. heard a B&W 700 system today and was not impressed (703,700 centre and new dipole rears? with asw750 sub). really like the tight sub, great for the money but i thought the speakers were a little "edgy" - that from someone whos uses M&K at home!!!
Gold reference 20, centre, rear and FB212 sub would be a nice alternative, but at £4.5k not exactly cheap. BTW, having heard the M&K 850s next to the 700 system, i thought the M&K gave a better musical sound, just my opinion though.

Edgeyboy

Thanks for the comments.

I agree that some of the B&Ws seem to have a slightly pronounced top end.

I had considered N805s at the front with an HTM2, but they have a slightly laid back presentation which put me off for home cinema use.

Matt: I have to be careful with using bigger speakers and running them large because the room is small and fairly square. I'll look at the MAs though. Someone else I know really rates them.

Tom.

Top Bottom