1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Switches/Splitters?????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by WBC, Apr 10, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I want to set up an old amp to run a few different sets of speakers in the garage and garden etc.

An electrician friend of mine has done something similar but instead of buying an expensive speaker switch, he's actually used a 3 way light switch????

He's running various speakers through this (including a set of Bose lifestyles) and he doesn't have any issues. I can't hear any distortion or loss of quality, so does this make sense, or is there a reason why I should not try it myself.

If it works, its quite a neat way of setting the speakers up (for what I need it for) a light switch in the wall is quite a neat looking solution.

Any suggestions as to whether I should or shouldn't use this method. The speakers I will be using won't be worth any more than about £60 a pair.

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't see why not. I'm assuming you're not requiring audiophile quality anyhow with £60 speakers!

Dave

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainlynot interested in 'audiophile' quality!!! :D Just pretty much want the option of switching on whatever speakers I like in the garden or garage (games room), depending on the party/bbq.

My concern was more to do with power...............if I have a pair of speaker cables coming out of the amp and then splitting into different pairs, does this put a strain on either the amp or speakers.

Thanks

4. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing this is OK then ???

Cheers