Speaker Switch Question

icecold62

Novice Member
I have a set of opalum wave speakers that I am using as my home theater speakers (along with a sub). My issue is that the RF remote for the receiver broke. I am unaware of any remote that can “learn” an RF signal.

That said, my hubs input is setup correctly and the sound level is rather high currently.

My simple work around idea is to put a volume switch in between the input and the hub to use it as a modulator for the system. My issue is, I need both the input and output for any such switch to be optical. I cannot find any such switch.

I contacted Opalum and my option from them is to buy a proprietary remote or new hub. But the remote is the cheaper option at $120 and frankly it’s a terrible remote anyway.

So is there such a vvolume switch I am missing? Or maybe some other solution?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
So it's not a switch you need, but a digital volume control with optical inputs and outputs?

That would be an incredibly rare beast if it ever existed!!

Your best bet is to get the original remote, as anything else is likely to be very expensive - or a fudge! You could use a PC with optical inputs and outputs, or maybe even an android box, but by the time you have cobbled this together, it will be a right mess and probably not that reliable.

icecold62

Novice Member
I was afraid of as much, I saw the amazon echo link and noted it might work, but again is more expensive than getting a new remote.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The 'Hub' shown on the Opalum site indicates it is a learning Remote which allows you to 'teach' it commands from any IR Remote (your TV for example) is that different to the system you have?

Joe

icecold62

Novice Member
Oh my. I have no idea, but the moment I get home I will be checking. Wouldn’t that be a lovely solution. I have an older system but I seeing as IR has been around forever this might be a real option.

icecold62

Novice Member
Well I gave up. Although it’s a very nice system I cannot justify the remotes replacement cost currently.

Last edited by a moderator:

icecold62

Novice Member
I’m also moving some other high def stuff, a Roth amp and some bowers wilkins m1s. You all would enjoy them more than the average joe I assume.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom