Speaker Switch / Inline Volume control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by adam81, Feb 25, 2014.

1. adam81

adam81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Not sure if this would be better in speaker section. Mods please move if you feel it would.

Currently I have SB's all over my house. We are soon to be extending our kitchen and putting a lounge on the back. At present I have a touch in the kitchen running some small powered speakers.

The plan was to install a couple of stereo ceiling speakers, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the new lounge. They will never play different music (I would think given their location), so then it's a case of optimising the control for each speaker.

These are the speakers I've bought - BluCube CXCL-650-S.
    Not decided yet on amplification, if I keep the touch it will be a dedicated amp, or I have a Connected Acoustic SRI which does both the SB and amp roles.

The dedicated amp will probably have a speaker selection on it but I'd like to hide this away, and simply have a small box somewhere.

What would be peoples suggestions out of the 2 to run these? Being ceiling speakers they will never be driven that hard ever either.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    The usual problem with this plan is one of cost - wall mounted 'in line' speaker volume controls (even an old fashioned rotary volume pot) are relatively expensive devices.

The QED WM14 is one we have used in the past (not sure if it is still in production) - I see it online for near £100!

Joe

Assured Advertiser - like us on Facebook.

The Media Factory - Romanno Bridge - Corporate office | Facebook

3. adam81

adam81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks Joe, to be honest the cost of those compared to the extension pale so don't put me off straight away. I have found them cheaper of course around the £30-£50 mark but guess some of these will be China ebay. I won't be going to the extent of spending cost of full networked control of the systems but could accept a couple of these.

At this point it's the real life situation I'm trying to for see and how much use these would get and if I've missed a trick somewhere by not thinking of another way.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    'the cost of those compared to the extension pale' - usually the case, though most folk then claim they are skint and want a full multi-zone control/AV system for 2p :)

Combining one or more of the QED rotary Vol. control with one of the QED 'Transmatch' Spk selector Switch can be quite effective.

QED SS50 5 Way Speaker Switch

Joe