Speaker switch (break before make)

diablo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a stereo system in one end of a 28' room and projector setup at the other end, both run from a central hi-fi stack.

Having now acquired XTZ 99.26/99.25 front row for the cinema to run off an Onkyo 608 I would like to be able to switch the two 99.26 fronts to run off my Harmon Kardon HK980 which normally powers my Castle floorstanders. This would be for stereo only as the Onkyo has no pre-outs for individual speakers.

Now there are plenty of speaker switches on the market but the ones I have looked at are for switching two sets of speakers on one amp, which is obviously the normal requirement. None of them seem to specify if they are 'make before break' or 'break before make'. In the one amp situation this is probably okay in most circumstances but I wouldn't really want to connect the outputs of two amplifiers together as I don't know what it would do.

Any suggestions ?

Search for a source select switch instead of a speaker switch. This should then break before it makes the next connection.

Dammit - why didn't I think of that ? :)

:thumbsup:

The Beresford appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks. Will probably order one soon. :)

I have the Beresford and it does what it says on the tin. However my Rotel Class D amp is sensitive to the output suddenly changing even when no audio was playing - but the Audiolab 8000P was fine. I don't think it was a make-before-break issue, just a sensitive protection circuit. "Be aware" :)

The Beresford is in the post to me now, I suppose I'll find out how sensitive the Onkyo and HK are when I try it. I can always turn them off when switching if it is a problem.

p.s. for anyone else who may be interested it costs £80 including postage and VAT.

Had the unit for a week or three now and very pleased with it. No noticeable sonic difference with the switch in place, nice solid unit. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom