1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pzycho, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya guys.
    Been reading the forums for a while but only now had the need to post.

Sooo, I'm moving to a bigger house, where I'll finally have enough room for a separate HT room. I'm in the process of upgrading my current system now. What I have currently (or awaiting delivery of) is;

Barco Graphics 808s
    Pioneer DVL-909
    Pioneer DV-747A
    Yamaha DSP-AZ1
    2 x Tannoy Mercury M3 Fronts
    1 x Tannoy Mercury MC Front Center
    2 x Tannoy Mercury M2 Rear Surrounds
    1 x Yamaha SW800 Subwoofer

I'm happy enough with the speakers currently, but the lounge they're in at the moment is smaller than the one they will be in. The system will be put in a 19' x 12' room, probably running the projector 95" wide so I want speakers to match the picture so to say. I would also need to add more speakers as I'm upgrading the Amp to the new AZ1.

Am I looking at a completely new speaker setup, or would I be better off adding what I'm missing?

Not got a budget as such - don't want to spend silly money - but would be able to spend upto £4k if the 'extra' sound is worth it.

Also - what about the subwoofer? I'm happy with the current output, but have been told I would be a lot better off adding a second sub and also changing the one I currently have for a 'better' make/model.

Speakers will mainly (only?) be used for movies - got separate multiroom hifi for music. All and any suggestions very welcome.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    I´d wait and see what the performance of your current setup is like in the new room before I added anything to it.

Adding the extra speaker(s) for the rear centre(s) is probably the most logical step if the system performs well in the new room.

To be honest I would change the sub for a better make/model such as Rel, M&K etc. Its worth demoing various types/models etc in your own home if possible.

You could buy two new subs, most people will recommend two if you have the budget and space to accomodate them.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Jase to wait and see what it sounds like but your Tannoys whilst good sppeakers in their own right are only budget models and with £4,000 to spend you are moving into a different ball park and the sound improvement will be tremendous if you select carefully.

4. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice. I've decided to retire the old system either way though (giving to family in need :D) and I'm looking at a B&W setup. I'd like some input on the following, as I've read a lot about rear center's and surrounds etc that I didnt really follow :)

2 x B&W 600S3 DM604 Front Mains
    4 x B&W 600S3 DM602 Front and Rear Surrounds
    2 x B&W 600S3 LRC600 Front and Rear Centers
    1 x B&W 600S3 ASW650 Subwoofer

Now, this selection is so far only based on other peoples reviews and I'll be demoing a system this Friday - I'm slightly conserned that using DM602's as front surrounds is overkill though - and would the LRC600 be suitable as a rear center? Still to be hooked up to a AZ1 amp when Yamaha finally gets their finger out and delivers the beast.

Finally - anyone seen any good deals pricewise for the speakers above? I know superfi does/did a deal on B&W but it was only as an in-shop option. I'm more so looking for a cheap online store.

Thanks again.

5. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I went and demoed the B&W speakers today. They were good, but not quite what I was looking for so I ended up also demoing a Spencor(?) setup as well as a KEF Reference setup.

In the end I found the KEF speakers to be what I wanted - these being older units I would like some input on the actual age and price offered for these though.
    The setup I am now looking at purchasing consists of;

2 x KEF Model 4-2 Front Mains
    2 x KEF Model 1-2 Rear Surrounds
    1 x KEF 200 Front Centre
    1 x KEF 100 Rear Centre
    1 x REL Q400 Subwoofer

I was quoted a price of £5250 for the whole lot - all haggled and ready to go. Seems like a fair price really considering the price on the units when they were new. Question is, how old is this range and are they worth the price quoted? Would I be better off going with the new Reference series (hence paying a lot more?).

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Now thats a corking setup!!

Those models are the older range but the new range has only been out a couple of months, maybe not even that. They are also a LOT more expensive.

Pricewise you may be able to do better but probably only for ex-demo stuff or someone getting rid of older stock.

The Rel should be around 800-900 quid.
    The Model 100 can be got for around 300.
    The Ref 200 centre for around 600-700.
    The Ref 1.2 around 1200-1400.

Not sure about the 4.2 though. You need Nic Rhodes on these, hes got a pair if memory serves me right. He´ll probably be able to give you another indication on the other speakers prices as well.

7. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I fell in love with them straight away. Played the landing/take-off/crash sequence from JP3 on all the setups I demoed and these were by far the best. Of course - also the most expensive ones :)

I was given a breakdown for the setup as follows;

REL Q400 - £1000
    KEF 100 - £300
    KEF 200 - £700
    KEF 1-2 - £1000
    KEF 4.2 - £2800

then a second discount of £550, so seems to be pretty much in line with what you said.

Guess I'll find my chequebook and hope the wife doesnt find out what I've just spent on speakers, amp and a stewart screen :D

Cheers

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Tell her its for her own benefit or just lie blatantly, denying you would never spend that amount of money and it must be a mistake!:D "they´ve added a 0 to the price luv" etc etc

or just bribe her. shoes, clothes, whatever it takes to get her mind off it!!:D

9. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a YAMAHA SUB ... YST-SW305 and it makes my front room shake like a French Soldier.......

It looks ok, (i dont really like the controls on the frount) .. But as the old saying goes... YOU LISTERN WITH THESE (point to ears) AND NOT THESE (point to eyes):eek:

All the best

Gaz

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I would certainly consider looking at the M&K S85 speakers. A set of:

Front L&R S85
    Centre S85C
    Side surrounds S55Tripole
    Rear Surround S85C
    Sub V125

The whole set would cost you around £4k all in, and would be a huge step up over your current Tannoys, without dominating the room.

I wouldn't bother with the front 'surround' speakers personnally, they don't really do much for me.

11. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.. if its a duel you want... it's a duel you'll get...

Pistols at dawn or would you rather bagettes??

How will I know its you??..... oh silly me, you'll be on a bike with onions on the handlebars,wearing a stripey blue and white shirt and a beret......

But listern carefully I shall say ziss only once......

Sofaboy... Fighting for good old blighty dra dra!!

Speaker question, now please......

How do people rate KEF CRESTA 1 and CRESTA 2 ?

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    sofaboy,

Once you have finished playing with your onions you might get a better response to your question if you post it as a new thread as this one is almost played out.

Head it "Opinions on KEF Crest 1 & 2 and it will attract the attention of all keffers

13. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a man who loves french toast, and women with hairy armpits, i must also slap soafa boy with my glove, hard across the chops!!

14. williesoon

williesoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pzycho,

the blue sale at unilet is on. just received a leaflet. the prices for the KEFs are as follows :

Reference 1.2 Black/Rosenut/Classic RW (new) - £899
    Reference 2.2 Classic RW (ex-display) - £995
    Reference 2.2 Black (new) - £1109
    Reference 3.2 Classic RW (ex-display) - £1495
    Reference 4.2 Rosenut (factory 2nd stock) - £1949
    Reference 4.2 Rosetta Bur (factory 2md stock) - £2269
    Reference 4.2 Black/Rosenut/Classic RW (new) - £2369
    Reference 4.2 Albina/Rosetta Bur (new) - £3149

personally i like the B&W CDM9NT (red cherry) - £1099

hope this helps!

:eek:

15. RAM69

RAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your choice of speakers is excellent.

I have 1x3.2s, 2x1.2s, 1x200C and 2xREL Q400s. I did have a Denon AVCA1SE to power them. However, the speakers are 4 ohms and the amp used to cut out every time I turned it up for a long time.

Solution was to change amp t0 Rotel 1095 and 1090 plus a Meridian processer. What a difference.

Suggest you give serious thought to your amplification as the speakers are so good.

Good luck.