Speaker Suggestions

fulllupo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can someone please suggest a good speaker combo to go along with this equipment that i will be purchasing shortly:

Hitachi 32pd5100 Plasma
Sony STRDB2000B Reciever (120w x6)
Sony DVPN5930VSMR DVD Player

I am looking to spend maybe about £500 odd on the speakers.

My current plan is the Gale 30 series speaker package: 3030 fronts 100w, 3050 centre 80w, 3060 bipolar rears 90w, 3080 sub 100w. (I probably wont bother going for 6.1 at the moment, maybe add another rear centre speaker later)

This should work out just over £500. Hows that sound or does anyone have a better option for me?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Another (and probably better) alternative would be the Mordaunt Short Premier Plus package at £500 from here amongst other places, although you would need to add in speaker stands to the price

Hmm, are they better than the gale speakers then?

Peter Tyson is doing the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus System for £310:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/

Is this the same as the ones on the AV site? Seems like a bargain then!

Though i dont know if i like the way they look much and also prefer the look of the floor standing gale speakers, if the others are better and also cheaper then that has to be the way to go

They are not the same package. The AVLand package has a substantially better sub, hence the difference in price.

Russell

Sorry, having looked again they are the same. They offer it for for the £309 in cherry with the ms309 sub, and a tenner less with the ms308. So £309 seems like an absolute bargain.

Does say they only have the ms309 in black though. Dissapointing

What about the Jamo A410PDD set?

To be honest i dont knwo anything, im just looking in the back of essential hifi and home cinema magazine and looking at the ones that got 5 stars!

Originally posted by fulllupo
Sorry, having looked again they are the same. They offer it for for the £309 in cherry with the ms309 sub, and a tenner less with the ms308. So £309 seems like an absolute bargain.

Does say they only have the ms309 in black though. Dissapointing

What about the Jamo A410PDD set?

To be honest i dont knwo anything, im just looking in the back of essential hifi and home cinema magazine and looking at the ones that got 5 stars!

I ordered the MS Prem from Peter Tyson last week and although it said black on the site I got the MS309 in Honey Maple - which was nice!

Ian, was the rest of the system in mapole too or does it not match? How are you finding the system? Bargain?
Cheers

No, the sats & centre are Light Cherry, which was what I ordered. They dont match, but then my Sub isn't in view so It doesn't matter to me.

I'm affraid they are still in the boxes. I am waiting on buying my new reciever but I just cant make up my mind. Latest sub £300 offerings from Denon, Marantz, Sony & Yamaha all look good.

fulllupo,

Serves me right for just looking at the piccy! :suicide: At that price, the premier + looks to be a very good buy.

Ian Carter,

From memory, I'd get a Yamaha 550 or Marantz 5400. Yamahas are brighter shounding, but tend to have better processing, making them sound cinematic. Marantz are more laid back and musical, though this last point won't be too noticable at this price.

Russell

No problem Russraff, i didnt notice myself at first.

Does seem like a bargain, but i think aesthetic (if thats how u spell it!) reasons are important to me also, and i dont think id want a sub that didnt match, and also i think i prefer the look of the Gale speakers over all anyways.

Spose its £200 cheaper though, but then ive gotta buy stands.

Hmm, tricky decision.

Cheers for all the input though gents, im gonna go away and ponder...

Alphason RS10 stands, circa £30/pair fit the MS Premiere's but try and keep the height down towards 80cm as they are heavy and can wobble.

p.s. £310 for Premiere Plus is an absolute steal. And so what if its black? It looks gorgeous and besides, you can hide it away anyway. The MS302s produce a surprising amount of midbass for their size

Not wanting to hijack the thread guys but i'm very keen on a premier plus set in cherry with the MS309 sub. Trouble is petertyson wont ship to southern ireland... just wondering if anyone in the uk would be able to help me out and if i transferred the cash to you - maybe organise delivery to dublin? It seems like to good a deal to miss up

Cheers,
Mick

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom