Speaker Suggestions for Rotel RA-1570

I currently run a Rotel RA-1570 with B&W DM603 S2 (the ones from around 2002) and am looking to upgrade the speakers. What would people recommend I take a look at please, that suits the Rotel tonally but is an upgrade 'quality' wise from the 603's. 603's are entertaining enough but not very subtle!

Open to used suggestions, as well as new up to around £1200.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Please give us some information on the room and positioning.

Your RA-1570 is capable of driving pretty well anything, including speakers costing significantly more than the £1200 you list as a guide. In fact, given the quality of the amplification I would indeed suggest that you buy second-hand, with the aim of getting something better for the same expense. As it is, I doubt if a new speaker at £1200 is going to be much of an improvement over the DM603 S2's you have and which sold for £1200 when new. I also wonder if your dissatisfaction does not perhaps arise from your room furnishings rather than being intrinsic to the B&Ws?

PMC is a popular choice, and you may find something in your price range. Dali is also an option. Since you're scouring the second-hand market, there's no point suggesting specific model numbers, rather your choice is dictated by whatever offers you find.

I do not buy into the "tonal matching" argument. Any decent speaker will match any decent amplifier. If there is a "tonal matching" issue with a decent speaker, then the amplifier in question is failing to meet the term "decent", and should be repaired or replaced.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I'm with @Mark.Yudkin on this one, look for second hand at at least one step up the ladder from the 603 s2's.

PMC Twenty.23, Kef R700, Spendor A6, if you are lucky Neat SX1 or B&W 704s2 would be all around the right price.

There was a recent thread on here about the B&W 603 s2 Anniversary version and someone looking to upgrade their old 603's, worth a search.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Please give us some information on the room and positioning.

Your RA-1570 is capable of driving pretty well anything, including speakers costing significantly more than the £1200 you list as a guide. In fact, given the quality of the amplification I would indeed suggest that you buy second-hand, with the aim of getting something better for the same expense. As it is, I doubt if a new speaker at £1200 is going to be much of an improvement over the DM603 S2's you have and which sold for £1200 when new. I also wonder if your dissatisfaction does not perhaps arise from your room furnishings rather than being intrinsic to the B&Ws?

PMC is a popular choice, and you may find something in your price range. Dali is also an option. Since you're scouring the second-hand market, there's no point suggesting specific model numbers, rather your choice is dictated by whatever offers you find.

I do not buy into the "tonal matching" argument. Any decent speaker will match any decent amplifier. If there is a "tonal matching" issue with a decent speaker, then the amplifier in question is failing to meet the term "decent", and should be repaired or replaced.

I agree sir, except that I don’t think the original 603s (s2) were £1200.

I seem to remember around £600, but it’s more than 15 years now so I might be a bit out.

(To the op) we’d really need your room size to offer useful help; the room and speaker interaction is at least as important as the speakers themselves.

Thanks for the replies.

room is about 4mx3m but opens up into another room that is about the same size with the sofa between the rooms.

The 603’s are either side of our tv at the moment about 3.5m from listening position and about 2.5m apart.

They were £550 new in 2002 or so - I used to sell them so remember pretty well.

ive seen a pair of 805’s for £1000 but I fancy something a bit different. Open to PMC and other brands. Tone wise I don’t like overly bright which this system is a little towards at the moment.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The room is on the small side, so floor standers or small speakers on stands, with requirements for rear clearance, are not really an optimal option. Given that the current speakers are 3.5m from you and your room is 4m, I already wonder if placement isn't a part of your problem.

Given your room, I'd suggest that something on-wall, or if feasible, in-wall, combined with a subwoofer, might be a better fit for your requirements.

I got the ca. £1200 new from What Hi Fi. I now see that Stereophile quotes about half of that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom