Speaker suggestions for Marantz PM6007

MrRoarke

Novice Member
Looking for some speaker suggestions for my Marantz PM6007. My purpose is only for 2 channel, or 2.1 stereo music listening, depending on whether or not I'm getting enough bass from the speakers. Budget maximum is roughly $1500 for the pair. I was looking into the Polk S60's, and S55's as well, the Dali Oberon 5's and 7's. From the reviews, I've read, people were generally very happy with both of them. Looking for something large enough to fill an open basement. My preference would be to not use a subwoofer. Any other suggestions other than the 2 aforementioned speakers? How do you feel about the Polk signature series, would S55 be more appropriate, or will the S60's have a better sound. Tried going to the local Best Buy to demo the Polk's, but their demo system was not functional.

Any input would be appreciated.

gibbsy

How big is your open basement? If it's quite large then you'll have to carefully consider what speakers you have. The pm6007 isn't blessed with a large and powerful amp giving just 45 watts into 8 ohms. With a stated 60 watts into 4 ohms you can expect a maximum of 50 watts into 6 ohms.

You will have to look at the ohm loading and sensitivity of any speaker you look at. The Oberons would suit the warm nature of the Marantz and I do find Dalis to be a little bit forward in the treble and the Marantz would go some way to taming that. The 7s are slightly easier, very slight, easier to drive than the 5. It's all down to the size of that basement.

MrRoarke

Novice Member
@gibbsy The basement is about I'd say 1200sq. It's not completely open, there is a centre structure where the furnace is housed in, but you can walk all around the basement in a circle. The area where the stereo system is, is about 175sq of open space, which opens up to each side to larger open spaces. The only problem I have with the Dali's is that they are 6 Ohm, and in the future if I want to run another set of "B" speakers, the rating needs to all be at 8 Ohm for all 4 speakers.

gibbsy

I'd stick with one set of speakers running at anyone time from the Marantz. It's not powerful enough to run two sets at the same time. I think the Dalis would be fine in your room as long as don't expect to run them at dance hall levels.

Paul7777x

You might also consider some of the Klipsch horn designs. The extra sensitivity will help with the big space and the less than stellar output of the Marantz.

MrRoarke

Novice Member
Thanks @gibbsy and @Paul7777x . Will the Dali's or the Klipsch, I'm guessing the reference series provide a punch bass that you can actually feel in the room, or would a subwoofer be required?

gibbsy

A subwoofer will always go deeper than a floorstanding speaker. Those speakers that have the bass extension of a sub will cost tens of thousands of dollar bills. It will depend on how deep you like your bass. I don't use a sub personally as I find, for my taste, that bass is deep enough on my speakers and I like that bass to be fast and very tight.

MrRoarke

Novice Member
One of the things that attracted me to the Polk is their low frequency response, and the power port at the bottom of the tower. From the reviews, people were saying that there was no need for a sub woofer. I suppose I'll have to find a place to demo them. Great reviews on the Dali as well.

gibbsy

Never buy without auditioning, at your home would be even better. People mention speakers often because they are their favourite and work well in their rooms with their amp. That doesn't mean they will perform the same in your room and more importantly may not work with your ears. The two most important things with audio are the speakers and quickly followed by the room that they are in.

Personally with Marantz amps I would recommend KEF speakers as I know the two work very well together. However they are a difficult speaker for any amp to drive that has a low output and poor power reserves especially if they are in a large room.

Good luck with your speaker search. It can be as much fun as it can be frustrating.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom