Speaker suggestions for Arcam AVR400

fatboy frank

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently running Ruark Vita 100's 5.1 setup with the Ruark Vita 200 sub through an Arcam AVR4OO.

Would like to upgrade these to something better, but keep the sub. My preference would be for good quality floorstanders. ideally I want to go for
PMC Twenty Series 24's at the front with matching centre, and maybe PMC Twenty 23's for the rears. Unfortunately can't afford them at present, so am considering others as an interim measure.

Would be happy for just the front 3 at present, and am more than happy for second hand quality speakers that might fit the bill.

Mainly used for movies, but must be equally good with a varied range of music.

Any suggestions gratefully received :lease:

Frank

Why not get some pmc i series as can get these secondhand. Or save up until you can afford the twenty series since anything you buy as an interim is just a bit of a waste and meaning it will take longer to afford the twenties.

I take your point, but the best part of £8K for the twenty series is going to take sometime to save, so interim speakers would have to last a while yet.
I was looking at a GB1i setup 18 months back, but have since separated from the wife, so have other things more important to spend money on.

Frank

C'mon folks, still looking at serious suggestions :lease:

Why don't you go by stages:
Personally I think that the twenty 23 are an overkill for rears but regardless you could get a pair of twenty 23 or twenty 22 plus matchng centre. Something cheap for rears to tie you over (db1 from ebay or maybe something cheaper) and start saving for the twenty 24. In a few years buy them and move your current fronts to the back.

This would still give you a very good front 3 much better than buying a cheaper complete surround speaker package at the expense of poorer front-rear integration. The final cost should also be less since you would only sell you cheap rear at a loss rather than the whole surround package.

That's exactly what i'm thinking of doing, still the best part of 4K :eek:for the gloss black finish that would best match my current decor.

I use Quad 22L and Centre for my front three with MK Sur55T as surrounds.
Bass is catered for with a Monolith.

My system is very musical (as much as an avr can be) and really kicks with movies.

I had Monitor Audio Golds and Kef Q's before and they matched the Arcam sound very well. They were used when I had my Arcam 350.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom