Speaker suggestion for new home

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Gonzoflick, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Gonzoflick

Gonzoflick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im buying my first home and will be investing in a home theatre system right off the bat. The main living room which is open to most of the house is approx 14x25. We have hardwood floors.

I am waiting to purchase the Yamaha RX-2050 AVR unless anyone advises against. My question is on speaker selection. I like Polk audio especially their cherry finished speakers but I'm not opposed to other brands. I figure I'll start with a 5.1 and then move up from there. I well spend around $1,500 on speakers initially but would like them to be a 10+ year investment.

Suggestions?

Thank you

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You could easily justify a spend of $3-4k on a full 5.1 speaker set with the 2050 to get the best from it. So is the $1.5k for the full 5.1 set or just the front pair. If you want speakers that are going to last and not need replacing then I would suggest using the budget for the front pair only.

3. Gonzoflick

Gonzoflick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what's wrong with Polk RTi A5 for fronts, A3s for rear and CSI A4 for center?

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    Nothing, but that's not what you originally said. You simply said Polk Audio and left us to guess at the rest.

While the Polk Audio RTi-A5 have good bass ([email protected]), they don't have Subwoofer Bass. Though there is some flexibility, a good basic Sub runs about $500. That could be added later.

In US Dollars -

$800/pr = Polk Audio RTi-A5 Floorstanding
    $250/ea = Polk Audio CSi A4 Center
    $400/pr = Polk Audio RTi-A3 bookshelf
    -------------------------
    $1450 = Total

For surround speakers, the RTi-A1 ($325/pr) are probably enough. Which you choose depends purely on the ability to place the speaker effectively in your space. Typically room limitations dictate the Surround speakers.

Generally you need some distance between the Surround speakers and the Prime Seating area. That distance can be horizontal or vertical, but you don't want the Surround right on top of the Prime Seat.

If you can move from the RTi-A5 ($800/pr) to the RTi-A7 ($1000/pr) it is probably worth it especially if you plan to run without a Sub for a while -

Polk Audio RTi A7 (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

The A5 uses two 6.5" bass drivers, the A7 is in larger cabinet with deeper bass ([email protected]) with two 7" bass drivers and with the addition of a 6.5" Midrange driver.

Consider -

$1000/pr = Polk Audio RTi-A7 Floorstanding
    $250/ea = Polk Audio CSi A4 Center
    $325/pr = Polk Audio RTi-A1 bookshelf
    -------------------------
    $1575 = Total

The Yamaha 2050 at US$1600, puts the amps slightly out of proportion relative to the speakers. Generally in an AV system, the speakers are 2 to 5 times more than the cost of the amp. But if you scaled back to the Yamaha 1050 for $1200, that would almost give you enough to buy a Sub. If you willing to sacrifice just a bit, $300 would be enough to buy an OK Sub.

However, with at $1600 amp, you should really be looking at a 5.1 speaker systems in the roughly $2500 to $5000 range. With at $2000 speakers system (includes a Sub) you should be looking at an amp in the roughly $750 to $1250 range. Again, that's not etched in stone, but a broad and general guideline.

Still these small details are purely your call. No one would fault you for wanting the Yamaha 2050.

Especially if you intend to run for a while without a Subwoofer, I would suggest you upgrade to the Polk RTi-A7 speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  5. Gonzoflick

Gonzoflick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluewizzard

That was a very detailed and informative answer thank you so much. At this point I'm not sure how the speakers are going to perform in my space, especially since it's hardwood. The 2050 on the other hand will perform, has the hdcp 2.2 and zones that I want for my home, and seems to be a better "high end" investment for me at this time.

Thoughts?

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You are normally better investing more in the speakers than avr. Speaker technology moves slowly so good speakers will still be good in 10yrs. Avrs on the other hand get superseded almost yearly with new technology. So very hard to future proof avrs but much easier with speakers. As above there is nothing wrong with the Polk as such but the 2050 deserves much better to get the best from it.
    Also additional zones on avrs are a little clunky to use so may not be the best option depending on your needs.

7. Gonzoflick

Gonzoflick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe going to the RTi A7 fronts and no sub for now. Are A7s good enough for the 2050?

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would suggest looking at the next level of speaker at least instead of getting a bigger speaker of the lower range. There is not much point getting large fronts with a 5.1 system since you should let the sub do the low stuff. In fact movie sound tracks are set for sub/satellite systems anyway.

9. Gonzoflick

Gonzoflick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. what's the next level of speaker?

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    In Polk it would appear to be the LSi range.

11. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    I gave you the guidelines. Generally, the 5.1 speaker set should be about 2 to 5 times the cost of the AVR. But remember that is just a guideline, not the law, you can do anything you want.

As someone else said, speakers can be a long term investment. I've still got a pair of speakers I built in 1985, and they still sound good, and they are still going strong. My other speakers are 6 years old and I still consider them new. But since 1985, I've gone through FIVE amps. Though these are Stereo amps.

A couple years ago, no one even imagined ATMOS, yet to day everyone wants it. A few years ago people where satisfied with Dolby and DTS, now everyone want Dobly-HD and DTS-HD. A few years ago, everyone was satisfied with 2D movies, now they want 3D. A few years ago, everyone was more than satisfied with 1k resolution, now people want 4k.

So every couple of years they come up with something new to sell more TVs and other equipment. AVR Receivers really do change quickly. Even the Yamaha 2050, will certainly be obsolete in 5 years. However, a good set of speakers will still be a good set of speakers in the same 5 years.

Keep that in mind.

As much as I would love for you to have the Yamaha 2050, with roughly a $3000 to perhaps $3500 budget, that's not how I would allocate the money. With roughly a $3500 budget, I would say about $750 for the AVR, and $2750 for a 5.1 set of speakers. Even $2750 is on the lean side.

BUT ...once again... these guidelines are not etched in stone. Every individual has different priorities, and makes their own appropriate choices.

Though in all honesty, unique to me I assure you, I would spend $1500 on a Rotel RA-1570 Stereo amp (which I did) and another $2000 on just a pair of Front speakers. But then, I'm odd that way. Though, the speaker I really want are $3200/pr, but the speaker I would perhaps settle for are $2000/pr. Though the speakers I REALLY REALLY want are either $5000/pr or $10,000/pair, depending on how big my lottery win is.

Short of winning the Lottery, I'll stick with the speaker I have.

Steve/bluewizard