• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Speaker & subwoofer setup using spl advice needed on volume

michaelgordon

So its been a long, lomg time since i actually setup my system correctly, relying on the auto cal in the denon and now the Sony amp. Also had a move around and hidden the sub behind the AV cabinet (centre of room away from side neighbour walls) and put centrre on the wall.

Ive bought an SPL meter and after auto cal and setting the usual settings on the amp, i adjusted the test tone to 70db on the centre and worked around all the speakers.

When the auto cal was done with the sub gain control at halfway it set it to -10. I have the sub on granite board with 4cm of foam under it. I changed the db level to 0 and used the gain control turning down until it read about 70. I can still feel the bass and hear it but its not loud or in the chest but can feel slightly in feet & couch.

Have i done this right? It sounds good actually the main speakers sound better than they ever have (vocals can sound a little hollow at times like open air but not in a room scenes). Lowered the volume to my normal listening and stuck on Deadpool and the first 15mins or so the meter never really jumped about 88/89.

Neighbours have never complained about noise and sub has been a lot higher in volume but i dont want to give them an excuse to say something as they are relativly new, last couple of months. I have ordered a subdude matt as ill need my chopping board back. Would anyone say this volume would be ok?

I only turn up Friday / Saturday nights & Sunday days to watch films but only by two or three points 20/21 to 24/25 and this did go to about 90/95 but may have been a bit loud still testing. Normal listening levels i wouldnt say there was any issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom