Speaker static with some AVR-100 inputs

iwolf81

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an AVR-100 receiver connected to Thiel 1.5 main speakers and a Paradigm center channel; however, the surround speakers and sub-woofer are not connected. I recently have begun hear static coming through the left, right and center speakers for all inputs except for the "Ext 5.1" one, even when the sources are paused or not powered. This leads be to believe the issue is not with the Tributary cables or above speakers.

Could you please tell me if this static issue is familiar to any of you? Do think it could be a problem with the receiver or caused by external interference? Any debugging recommendations would be appreciated. I am trying to decide if it's worth getting the receiver repaired or not.

Cheers,
Ira

Start by disconnecting everything and plug in some headphones and switch on the unit. Check for noise.
If none then add a component at a time until it comes back so you can narrow down exactly at which point the noise is occurring.

TBH the AVR100 could be bought s/hand fully working for less than the cost of trying to get it repaired.

Start by disconnecting everything and plug in some headphones and switch on the unit. Check for noise.
If none then add a component at a time until it comes back so you can narrow down exactly at which point the noise is occurring.

TBH the AVR100 could be bought s/hand fully working for less than the cost of trying to get it repaired.
Thanks for the advice. If the issue or a work-around cannot be identified with this procedure, I'll start looking at an AVR-400. :)

Cheers,
Ira

So I plugged in the headphones, disconnect all inputs, and still heard static for all sources except "Ext 5.1." A friend suggested opening the cover and blowing all the dust out with compressed air. Other than that, are there any more options short of getting a new receiver?

Thanks,
Ira

Sounds like a new receiver

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom