1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker stands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm looking to invest in some speaker stands for my M72 speakers. I used to have the speakers up on a shelf but found out how better they sound when I move them away from the corner.

Will any stands do? I was looking at a pair Argos are selling for £30. What's the difference between a £30 pair of stands and an £80 pair of the same height? How does a stand improve the sound quality of a speaker, especially if I spend more money on it?

Anything I should look for when purchasing them?

Thanks.

2. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Apologies, this should be in the Speakers & Subwoofers forum. I put it in the wrong one by mistake. I've copied this enquirey to the corect forum now. Sorry again for the mistake.

3. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    DR Rock, I have the Argos Accoustics stands for £30 from argos

I find these very stable,solid and weighty

I also have M72's as my fronts

4. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    today I bought myself the Acoustics Solutions 3-column stands from Argos, for £30. The look nice assembled. But I'm going to exchange them because they've got bits missing.....the spiked feets, nuts, washers and pads.

Mansell, is that the same set you bought? The speaker stands I'm talking about can be seen

I alsoHERE on the Argos website.

Also, the top of the stands have no holes to screw the base of the speaker to the stand. How am I supposed to secure the speaker onto the stand? The set was supposed to have pads to put on the stand and under the speaker. Are those pads enough to grip onto the speaker and stop it vibrating off?

Have you filled your stands with anything yet (sand, lead, etc) or left them the way they are?

Sorry but I'm a hifi virgin, so I hope someone can answer my questions.

Thanks a lot.;)