Speaker stands - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andyp, Mar 14, 2001.

1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Finally got my new and first HC system all together, and am very pleased with the way it sounds.

Thought I'd post a link to some pictures of the speaker stands I made, what do you think?

[http://www.geocities.com/andyparrott/speakers.jpg]

Cheers.

Andy P.

[This message has been edited by andyp (edited 14-03-2001).]

2. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    They are the absolute business.
    I gather you pretty handy at metal work. [​IMG]
    Can we have more details please??

On a side note I see you have a 4:3 TV. Have you tried mattes?? (see 'the cheapest home cinema tweak' thread in the General Chat forum).

Cheers

3. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks! Well, yes - prior to my current career I was a fabricator/welder by trade, and my main interest has always been car restoration, VW Beetles actually. I decided to make the stands as I didn’t see any of the style, build quality and height to suit my needs. Oh, and I can’t justify spending money on something I could make myself! I’m an absolute nightmare to be with in Ikea! ;-)

The stands were my own design, though I freely admit to being influenced by current commercially available versions. The main uprights are 3.2mm thick circular section tube, the base-plates are laser cut from 6mm steel plate, the fronts also have 6mm laser cut top plates, whereas the rears are 4mm. The uprights have threaded brackets welded inside each tube, and the base-plates are bolted through with M8 countersunk screws. Commercially available 8mm spikes are employed in the base plates. And before you ask, yes - they are extremely heavy!!

I have considered filling the uprights with sand to acoustically deaden them, but haven’t noticed any problems to date. The uprights on the rear stands also hide the speaker cable.

The cabinet is actually a wonderful Ikea item ;-) (temporary until I make a decent one) Actually it’s a corner unit, but when I set up this system it had to go in the centre of the wall as you see it now. I had to modify the top to clear the centre channel speaker too, arrr….. the things we do for perfection! ;-) Yes the radiator was a potential problem (it’s currently switched off) until I get time to move it! Haven’t noticed any loss of picture quality since the move to this position.

The 4:3 TV was only purchased a few years ago, so will have to wait for a little while until a widescreen set can be justified. That hot tip - mmmm…….. I guess I’ll have to try it to believe it!

Andy P.

4. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Amazing piece of work. Very impressed.

Andy, try that tweak, you'll be astounded.
    Your dvds anamophic or not will never look so good. (Is your player set to 16:9?)

Cheers

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very, very impressive. Looks to me like you've found youself a new career! All you need to do now is set up a web site to flog them.

By the way, if you listen to music, then you really should fill them with sand/shot.

Regards
    Gary

6. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    love the wooden cabinet, but what happens when you get more discs ?

are you sure that nice big steel radiator isn't compromising your tv picture ?

it's a pity you are a bit cramped for space, and your r.hand speaker is up against the door [bedroom I guess].

I don't see any external welds on the tube ends where they butt onto the bases, have you cut a smaller hole on the base/top plates and welded on the inside ?, and if so doesn't that mean you can't fill them with sand or shot ?.

On the whole though, very nice for a 1st attempt, just watch out for the copyright infringement, those stands look very familiar [​IMG]

------------------
    Put the bunny back in the box !

7. carter

carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know what this tweak was?

cheers

8. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

Don't your equipment get slightly warm ?

:(

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my B&W CC6 under the TV, inside the TV cabinet, awful sound. Boxy sound.

I would place it ontop of the TV- alot better.

Nice speakers stands btw, apart from being silver!:D

10. jpb2001

jpb2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My telly and DVD is currently in front of a radiator that is not switched off - could this potentially cause me problems in the future??

Cheers,
    JB