1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker stands top plate / speaker base ratio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tawsi, Nov 1, 2003.

1. tawsi

tawsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there some sort of recommended ratio for the top of a speaker stand vs the base of the speaker that is sitting on it?

I was thinking of getting some Nexus stands and my speakers have a footprint of about 20cm x 30cm and the stands have tops of 14.5cm x 18cm. Is that an acceptable difference between them?

2. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't believe there's a recommended ratio but obviously the objective is to be as rock solid as possible and it sounds as if the Nexus may be a little small. Ideally the top of the stand and the speaker size should be as near identical as you can get. If you can wiggle the speaker on the stand it's no good. In case you aren't aware, the best connection between the speaker and the stand is Blu-tak - after a while it will virtually fuse them together!

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I would suggest looking at the R series from Atacama which are very stable and suitable for larger speakers.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opollo Olympus are sturdy and have a big baseplate which you can attach spikes too. They are on Sale at www.superfi.co.uk if I recall.

5. tawsi

tawsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the R series are probably a little out of my price range. Also at 50cm+ the olympus stands seem to be the same size or smaller than the nexus.

Is the main thing to get the width close to the width of the speaker? I can't seem to find much with a depth close to that of the speaker.