1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker stands, how good do they need to be?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by faggy292, Jul 15, 2005.

1. faggy292

faggy292

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been looking at speaker stands for my Mordaunt Short premier plus package im getting soon.
    People say that you need to get good ones, but is this just for looks or for the acoustics of the room? I mean whats stopping me from just poping into Argos and getting a set from there? :cool:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    My own conclusions suggest that you only really need to worry about the height at which the speakers rest on the stand. Naturally there is a minimum standard of construction such that your speakers don't come crashing to the ground and the stands don't ring like a bell constantly. It's for this reason that I'm happy with some adjustable ones from Argos although I certainly wouldn't discount aesthetics. :)

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'd be interested in whether an expensive speaker stand can make a great deal of difference to the sound coming out of a speaker. My BS meter always starts going when I read What Hi-Fi reviews of expensive speaker stands and they say how the stands improved the "tonal consistency" and "bass response" of the speakers (or something along those lines).

Does it make a great deal of difference to the sound or is a bit like speaker cable or is it one of those things where once you've spent a great deal of money on speakers then you might as well spend a lot on the stands as well :confused:

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The primary function of decent stands is to hold the speakers firmly in place IMO. The speaker cones try to push against the cabinet during normal use, if the cones can move the box this can create minor distortions in the sound.

I am not advocating super expensive stands or very cheap ones, as long as the speaker is held firmly you should be fine. My view is not that stands improve the sound it is more that they allow the speaker to perform properly.

Stands which resonate at audible frequencies will also effect the sound quality.

As for the height of the speakers this can be an important issue in the way the speakers interact with the room but most stands are of a fixed height.

In my experience, heavy speakers seem to prefer open box type stands whereas light speakers seem to work best with heavy (mass) stands which are decoupled from the stand with something like blutak

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Out of interest Londondecca, have you done any test calculations about this using the MMS driver parameter?

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    No but there has been various references in Speaker Builder from a few years ago unfortunately I cannot remember any more details.

It has been a few years since I last seriously looked at any of these issues but I would be surprised if there is not a fair amount on the various DIY forums.

These links might be useful, assuming you have not already read them.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/links.htm

http://ldsg.snippets.org/index.php3

http://www.aes.org/events/115/papers/SessionI.cfm

http://www.diyspeakers.net/links.php3