1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Stands - Half or Full ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GForce, Jan 20, 2004.

1. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI All

Ive just got my Atacama Nexus 7's and have been told to fill them with sand. Im putting KEF Q1's on the Top.

How much sand should i use ? Half fill them or fill to the top ?

Also Blue Tac ? Really ?? Nice speakers, nice stands and ... blue tac ! ? Surely not ?

Cheers

Gareth

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    them stands work better with the atabites by atacama which are just steel chips that interlock (Very dense) sell for about £20 for a heavy tub.
    No top spike option so blue-tak comes a close 2nd

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or if you are damned to pay a fortune for atabites...... go and source yourself some lead shot....... it is what you might call enormously dense. Difficulty being it might in fact be too heavy once filled..... I had to drop that idea because my full surround stands were going to weigh in the order of a ton!

ad

4. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replys guys.

Ive already been out and got some kiln dried sand as previous posts say its ok / comparible with other fillers.

As ive already got sand - should i half fill or totally fill ?

( I could just try it - but itll save me getting sand all over the place :) )

Cheers again

Gareth

5. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not an expert on this subject but I've heard that over filling a stand can make the speaker sound less lively as the job of a stand can also to be to absorb unwanted vibrations from a speaker, as well as keeping it steady at the desired height.

However, to be honest, I've always filled stands to the top, being more concerned about stability.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Make sure you put the sand into bags before it goes into the sands!! Otherwise there will be sand everywhere, you also get to try varying the quantity of sand ;)

My experience is that blue-tac really cannot be beaten on stand-tops. It holds the speaker solidly, is cheap, and doesn't damage the speaker finish.

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd be really interested to hear the concensus on this, I've just got a pair of Q1's and a pair of Apollo A2 twin column stands and I've got my kiln dried sand coming on Saturday, so what is it full or half full??

Cheers

Ryan :smashin:

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    try halved squash balls in place of blue tack, it will be better sonically though wont be sticky which you may want

ad

9. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replys ...

The Atacama Nexus stands dont allow for sand to be placed into bags - accros the top of the centre support is a large plate welded in to allow the top plate to screw in. Ive just half filled them for now ( via a funnel ) and not made too much mess :)

Cheers

Gareth

10. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where would you buy lead shot?
    I had never thought of that even knowing thats what made AE's AE509 so heavy!!

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    shot can be sourced from industrial type places, but its not really the sort of thing many people would buy so getting it would require asking a favour or two. Look for anyone who does shot blasting..... so a good place would be metal type manufacturer/worker type places

ad

12. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    You can also buy lead shot from places that sell diving equipment. Or so a friend tells me.

The Nexus is a fairly light stand (I had a pair) so I'd fill them up all the way to try to get as much mass (and therefore stability) as possible.