speaker stands advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wake24, Aug 4, 2013.

1. wake24

wake24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a set of Q Acoustics 2000I series 5.1 speakers.
    This is for a cellar and therefore I'm not sure I can install wall brackets due to damp proof lining.
    I've been looking into speaker stands however I'm thinking of using an old oak beam I have to create two tall stands and one mini stand for the front speakers.
    Acoustically are there any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea? They would be heavy & solid. Would I be best to put rubber bases (halved tennis balls), metal spiked feet, or leave flat on carpet?

For info: my cellar has an arched roof and is approx 4m by 4m in size.

Has anyone else had experience with cellars and installing fixtures on the wall.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    the oak beam should be fine since you can buy wooden speaker stands. I would use spikes to allow the stand to rest on the solid floor beneath to give a good solid base. Although you can buy reasonable metal stands for under £100 a pair so this could be an option too.
    How is the cellar tanked? Is it a waterproof membrane outside the bricks or something inside?
    Brick walls and ceilings are not going to be the best for accoustics as there is a lot of reflective surfaces. So you may want to consider some room treatments or soft hangings on the wall to reduce reflections.