Speaker SPL levels

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
After running room EQ on the AVR and then checking the speaker SPL levels, I get approx 77db with REW's SPL Meter, and approx 73db with a RadioShack digital SPL meter.
Is anyone able to check theirs if you have one or both meters ?

What weighting, what noise source - white, pink, tone, what average period?

I've got a calibrated Castle sound level meter with proper LEQ and other averaging modes and I find the cheap and cheerful meters are usually quite a long way off, particularly with white and pink noise sources.

The only thing an uncalibrated meter will give you is relative levels. Without a calibrated source it's very difficult to calibrate the mic with any level of certainty.

I'm just trying to work out which basic level to work off, the UMIK mic or the RadioShack meter. The UMIK measures at 77db and the RS 73db. I realise in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter providing they are all balanced equally and relevant.

Very difficult to tell with any certainty. I do have a calibrator to go with my mic, but they are quite fragile and I wouldn't want to post it out. What I will do is measure my UMIK and see what result I get through REW.

So uncalibrated, my UMIK reads 77.2 for a 75db pink noise source - calibrated using my Castle GA216. This was not that scientific, as I just held them in the same relative position to the speaker, but I doubt it made much difference. Moving them around a few inches didn't change the result.

Very difficult to tell with any certainty. I do have a calibrator to go with my mic, but they are quite fragile and I wouldn't want to post it out. What I will do is measure my UMIK and see what result I get through REW.

Fantastic :smashin:

So uncalibrated, my UMIK reads 77.2 for a 75db pink noise source - calibrated using my Castle GA216. This was not that scientific, as I just held them in the same relative position to the speaker, but I doubt it made much difference. Moving them around a few inches didn't change the result.

Great stuff. It didn't need to be a scientific test, what you've done helps a lot. Your result is pretty spot on to what I get so just confirms it for me.

Many thanks :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom