Speaker spikes on a hard surface ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by swayzak, Feb 8, 2009.

1. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

I have recently purchased one of these for my bedroom Squeezebox Boom:

GALE STORM8-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

It sounds great !

It has 4 screw in plastic spikes for isolation (and unfortunately one of them won't come out :mad: ).

It is sitting on top of a bedroom wall-fixed draw unit (with spikes at the moment).

I will obviously take it back at some stage to get them to unscrew the remaining spike (as I would like the option of using without !).

However, acoustically am I better leaving the spikes on ? I've tried lying it on it's side - this doesn't sound noticably different to me. However I guess theoretically it might colour the sound if the bass is resonating through the draw cabinet as well ?

If I leave them on then I'm going to have to put something under them I suppose to avoid marking the unit (although I'm not that fusse about this).

thanks

2. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    yeah.... plastic spikes though ?????????? i'd have thought they'd have been steel.

They could well mark your surface. they deffo would if they were steel

use some 1 pence coins ( queens face facing down to avoid being hung in london tower :rotfl:) to avoid any damage, or buy some proper cups for them...often with a felt backing on them.

3. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK - thanks.

So you mean I should keep the spikes on if possible ?

4. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    well if you can't get one of them out, then its the best option in the mean time...

using them without the spikes will more than likely lead to vibration at some point