Speaker solution for smallish space

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by FatLava, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FatLava

FatLava
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV and speakers are placed in a corner (please see attached photo) and this is the only place they fit in with my furniture.

My setup consists of 46" Sony TV, a Sony 1060 receiver and a pair of old Kef Floorstanding speakers. I use it for TV and music and am just running it on stereo which I am perfectly happy with in terms of sound quality.

However, I am not satisfied with this current arrangement as a) the TV is too high for comfortable viewing b) the wife thinks it looks weird.

I previously had the TV further forwards and the speakers to the side, but this really dominated the room so the current setup was an attempt to minimise the impact on the space and get the TV as far back as possible. If the speakers are to the side they they block the line of sight to the TV unless the whole setup is pulled far away from the corner.

I want to change the speakers so that I can lower the TV to just above the top shelf (the bracket is adjustable). However, I'm not sure what the best way to achieve this would be. The options I can think of are:

Replacing with bookshelf speakers (e.g wharfedale diamond 220) on very small stands under the lowered TV. Disadvantages - speakers not at optimum height (would this be a big problem?), might still look a bit strange.

Replacing with bookshelf speakers on wall mounted brackes. Disadvantages - what to do with the wires. brackets might have to be above the TV (would this be a problem?)

Replacing with thin floorstanding to side. Disadvantages - probably very expensive, maybe still need to bring TV forwards quite a bit so not saving much space.

Anyone have an opinion on these options or any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    Have you considered having the TV wall mounted on a mount that swings out? So could go flat to the wall when not being used but swung out to something like the current position when being watched? This would allow the sources/amp to be placed in a unit in the corner of the room so would give some floorspace back. As for the speakers, have you considered a passive soundbar like the Monitor Audio One? This could then be attached to the bottom of the TV (on the cantilever wall mount) so again be folded out of the way.

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,240
    I've got a 32'' TV on a cantilever wall bracket in the bedroom and pushing it flat against the wall is easy and it does look very neat. Your sound is a bigger problem and a soundbar looks like the best solution just like PSM1 has outlined.

4. FatLava

FatLava
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I was trying to avoid switching to a soundbar but I'm starting to accept that its the only realistic option

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    A passive soundbar is somewhere between an AVR with separate speakers and the all in one soundbar options. Hence, since you have the AVR already then going for a passive soundbar seems a good option. Considering your speakers are so close together anyway you are not losing much since there will be no stereo image to speak of from your current speaker layout anyway (the L/R speakers on a passive soundbar will be the same width apart as your current speakers).

6. FatLava

FatLava
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I did not know such a thing existed - very useful to know