1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker size vs Room Size...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andy76, Dec 24, 2003.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my system in my bedroom where I have effectively partitioned an area about 7foot wide and 13ft long for its use.
    My FS1 system sounds good but I have been offered some B&W speakers at a good price and am tempted to have them.Not sure though whether they would be too overpowering in the space I have?

I would use 602s for the fronts, LCR60 centre and 601s for the rear?

What are your thoughts on those in that space?

Thanks
    Andrew

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know a man with 2 enormous subs and a load of more powerful speakers in a room not that much bigger than yours..... smurfin is his name (sounds like 'old mcdonald had a......). You would be fine, id be quite confident of that.

ad

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup i have heard smurfins system in his relatively small room, compared to his systems power output, and it sounds great. His servo 15's, coupled with a feedback destroyer and careful callibration, sound really great and in tune. Well to put it right bloody scary but in control.
    cheers
    fred
    p.s. acoustic panelling/fabric or soft material along the walls would help to 'soften' acoustics.look into it, apparently it makes a huge difference and is something which i am looking into in the near future. My room being a very similar size room to smurfins

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't he have three enormous subs now? :D

THe speakers mentioned would certainately be Okay in the room size mentioned. But they'd certainately have to be used with a subwoofer or you'll get acres of bass 'boom' and will be overwhelmed by the extremely large DM602s.

My room's considerably larger than yours (about 15ft by 15ft), but I'm not YET using a subwoofer in my system and have Mission's 775e's as my front L/R channels, which are just monsterous in size. I do get a very agreeable sound out of my system, but the bass can overwhelm if the speakers aren't relatively far out into the room.

You'd have to be careful with the positioning of the 602s were you to buy them.

Dimmy :)