1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker size settings for my setup??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hallsy, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the choice of large or small for speaker settings on my AV amp. I have a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ f/s for front L+R, Acosutic Energy Aegis centre, and Gale 3060B Bipolar rears.
    I currently have the front three set to large and the rear bipolars set to small.
    Is this right, or should it be set differently. Small cuts off below 90 hz, large has no cut off.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    How does it sound as that's the most important thing? You could also try the centre set to small as well. Another option is all speakers set to small, all bass routed to the subwoofer (if you have one) and the crossover on the sub set to max.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey Hallsy, long time no see. How are you getting on with the 640? Enjoying it so far?

I'd set the front three to large and the rears to small.

How large is the centre channel woofer? if its less than 5 inches, and the enclosure is sealed, I'd set it to small too.

Rgds,
    DT

4. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, it's going well cheers! Sound certainly seems to have warmed up now, not sure if this is due to me leaving it on all the timne, or just my ears adjusting but I'm quite happy with the stereo performance now. I beleive the aegis centre is a pair of 120mm drivers, and rear ported so I have set this to large.
    Played about with it yesterday and it sounded pretty good like that, just need to get my bipolars mounted properly, and then get an SPL meter ;)

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, bi-polars are a bugger to install (trailing wires running up the lounge walls - nice) but the end result is usually well worth the effort. Also, you might want to try running them out of phase - this creates a broader, less focused soundstage IMO (less directionality in the sound). Suck it & see with this one though.

Don't waste your money on an SPL meter. Your body already comes with a very sophisticated pair attached to your head!

Seriously, if the SPL tells you to adjust a channel by X dB's, and it sounds wrong to your ears, are you really going to leave it like that because the SPL said so?

I certainly wouldn't.

DT

6. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, the bipolars are causing me some hassle in positioning!! Can't wall mount as there is a patio door on one side, and stands looked bad.
    I have now decided to hang from ceiling, so roughly in same place as if there was a wall rather than a patio door!! Prob about 1 foot down from the ceiling, firing across listening area.
    Trailing cables won't be a problem as I'll run them through the ceiling, under upstairs floorboards ;)

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    An SPL meter gives you the capability to make sure the entire system is balanced correctly and all channels are balanced in relation to each other. Once done, if you want to then tweak to your taste, then fair enough. At least you've got the correct starting point. The subwoofer level is the hardest to balance by ear and can be set up to 15db too high when using your ears alone.

An SPL meter is invaluable in my opinion. :)

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    I totally agree! I have gone round to a few friends houses to tweek their systems and with my SPL meter have seen their different speakers be out by a long way. This made it very easy to pin point exactly where each speaker was, rather than a smooth pan from one to another.
    Before hand they were fairly happy with the sound, but after they thought they had a completely different system. A one person said to me, "It is now like the whole room is full of sound rather than just haveing 5 individual speakers". In my experience this is next to impossible to do well without an SPL.
    If you want you can always increase or decrease a speakers SPL after to balance it with your own taste. My surrounds are running slightly warm as I prefer it this way.

Mark.