1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker size mismatch

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Andy1, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Andy1

Andy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HT set up consists of the Poineer 812 receiver and the JMLab SIB & cub, and of late I have noticed that the centre speaker lacks mid range – voices in particular sounded thin.

Due to budget / wife pressure I could not replace all the fronts so decided on a centre speaker upgrade (MS Avant 905C from Richer sounds @ £99 on price match). Purists will express concern re tonal balance but the speaker seems to integrate well.

The problem is my receiver only has set speaker configurations and cannot cope with a “large” centre and “small” fronts, so I have set the fronts / centre to small – the Avant 905 certainly would not normally be designated “small”.

I assume this means that the bass that would otherwise have come through the centre is merely diverted to the sub, but should I still fully benefit from improved mid range ? Are there any other disadvantages to this arrangement (the centre is on 14 day exchange, so if I have dropped a real clanger I can retreat with a little dignity at least).

Final question – I nearly bought the Celestion F35C @ £79 from Richer – a little smaller and certainly more wife friendly, but I decided to go for the oomph of the larger centre. As the centre will not now be undertaking bass duties, should I consider the Celestion again ?

Most of you have more experience than me in this area so any input would be a huge help. :lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have the crossover in the amp set to 80Hz it will divert exactly the same frequencies to the centre speaker no matter how large it is. In most cases the sub can handle frequencies below 80Hz better than the speaker so "small" is probably your best bet.

It is important that the front three speakers are a reasonable tonal match and the easiest way is normally by using speakers from the same manufacturer's range but if you have managed to achieve this by using a different speaker, all well and good.