speaker size, location set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by vala, May 7, 2007.

1. vala

vala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hello all,

im looking for some advice in what speaker types and locations for my room. im looking to replace my JBL creatures with something that will run off a seperate amp. doing this so I can listen to music/play dvd's without having to have my pc or xbox running. was thinking seperates.

i have included a couple of pics of my room so you can see the space i have to play with.
    initially i thought a couple of floorstanding speakers either side of my bed (i'd move the bed to the middle) however the one thing that concerns me most is then when watching dvd's the sound would be coming from behind me. one thing i learnt when i was working in the car audio industry is that it is always preferred for the sound to come towards you, hence some of the big demo cars usually ran just fronts and a sub. does this also apply to home audio as well?

any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Why not look at small (or satellite) speakers plus a sub? It'll certainly give you more positioning options and you won't loose out in bass extension.

In home audio, subwoofers are generall positioned in front of you too. This is obviously hard to achieve in a car, but the home is less forgiving of directionality issues associated with placing subs behind you.

What electronics are you considering and what sort of budget are you dealing with?

Russell

3. vala

vala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    any options for which type of speakers (bookshelf/satellite/floorstanding etc) will be considered.
    as for electronics I was looking at some of the cambridge audio azur range (in particular the low/middle end stuff) so thats also kinda where my budjet lies as well.

a set of speakers I have heard the another room (the room is identical in its layout) is a set of jamo d165/265 (can't remember exactly which one) however the speakers where stacked in the corner of the room. (from my pic of the bed end it was stacked on the left). these where just playing music and where very loud and to my ear didn't sound that bad (although I only have a set of JBL creatures to compare them with)

i hope this info helps for some suggestions/advice...

4. vala

vala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    anyone got any advice/suggestions...