1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker size for small room (Kef Q-series)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by greg_SA, Dec 7, 2004.

1. greg_SA

greg_SA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I am planning to buy a 5.1 speaker set for my living room, which is approx. 3.8m x 3.1m (or 12 x 10 feet).

I am pretty set on the Kef Q-series speakers, but I am not sure which set to choose... the larger Q5 and Q9c combination, or the Q4 and Q6c combination. Either way, I will go fot he Qcompact rears...

Is it worth going for the larger speakers (Q5 / Q9c) in a room of this size? So far I was thinking of getting the Q5 + Q9c and a sub only later on. Or is it a better idea to get the Q4, Q6c and a sub now?

I have heard the Q4 and Q5 speakers, but on separate occasions, and in separate rooms, so I couldn't make a good comparison :mad:

BTW, I was thinking of the Denon AVR-2805 to drive them...

Regards,
    Greg

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    There's a few threads going around regarding these speakers. The general consensus is the Q4's will be ample for a room your size.
    I read a review somewhere saying the compacts don't do the rest of the speakers any justice and that the Q1's are a better bet for the rears when matched up with Q4 and Q6C.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    My room is roughly 25’ by 12’, after going for a demo I ended up ordering the Q4/Q6c package.

The main reason for choosing the Q4’s over the Q5’s was that I did not want the speakers to have an overbearing presence in our living room. The Q5’s have more bass, but this is not a problem for me as the fronts will be relatively close to the wall, so I didn’t want any ‘boom’ effects.

I think for the size of your room the Q4’s will be ample.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I disagree here, I think the Qcompacts match the Q4/Q6c combo much better than the Q1’s, both size wise and aurally. However, the Q1’s work beautifully with the Q5/Q9c combo :smashin:

5. greg_SA

greg_SA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the info :)

I'm still not sure which combo I'll choose... I might still go for the Q5... I agree that either will be fine for the room, but I like the size of the Q5 :D

Tejstar... will you post some pics when you get your kit?

6. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greg

All the combos will probably work fine - I'm using compacts as rears with Q7's for fronts for a 4m * 8m room (ended up sat only 3m from fronts - needed to screw the floorboards down tight :D ). I went for the Q7s to eleviate the need for a sub (at least for the mo due to WAF) and wish I'd gone for something a bit more discrete (eg Q5's again for WAF - but the Q4 wasn't around when I bought). The compacts seem to work fine as rears.

Personally I'd go for the Q4's if I was going discrete - and get a sub too.

Have fun though - and possibly buy whilst post xmas sales are on - save yourself a bit of brass - got £100 off Q7s and £50 off compacts so you should save ~£125 if you're not in a rush - more if you get a sub.
    Andy

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Will do - although my rear stands are delayed until next week :mad:

Should be able to post some pics of the fronts when they arrive though!

8. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could i use my of kht2005's as rears with a q1/q6c or q4/6c setup?

Are the q1's any good as a front pair if matched with the q6c or for the extra would i be better going with the q4's

thanks

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    It really depends on your space on whether you choose the Q4s or Q1s. I don’t think you’d have a problem with them matching as they all use Uni-Q drivers.

The same applies to the ‘eggs’, using them as rears would be fine. :thumbsup: