1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker sharing dilema!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by samhassall, May 9, 2001.

1. samhassall

samhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Teac Ref 500 system, which I wish to keep as a two channel system for now. I also have a Toshiba 28WD98B, which has 5.1 on board. My speakers that I use with the Teac are Accoustic Enery AE109 floorstanders.

I would like to be able to use the external speaker terminals on my TV with the AE109's. My manual says I should not share my hi-fi speakers between my TV and Stereo, as it can cause damage. Is there any way around this so I can share the speakers - doesn anyone sell some kind of switching system for example?

Thanks in advance.

2. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Toshy,

I had a same dilema before. Then I bought a 2-way loudspeaker source control box from lektropacks.co.uk with ?7.00. I connected speaker cables from both speaker terminals on my Toshiba 32WD8 and hi-fi system to a switch box, and from the switch box to a pair of loud speakers. It is A/B switch system and every time you need to choose which source you would like to use.
    For safty you should make sure not to use both sources at the same time even though a switch box protects somehow. Also better to change an option on the back panel of your TV to internal speakers while you are using hifi system.
    I quite enjoyed that setup for a couple of years. Now I don't use it any longer as I bought AV receiver.
    If you are interested, email me on william.shin@lineone.net.

Cheers,

3. samhassall

samhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I think I may leave it as is, rather than risk my girlfriend blowing everything up. She has trouble with a multi-device remote, never mind a switch box.

Ah, the single life - I remember those days, when all your equipment was your own! Jumpers for goal posts, Sony C7 with cassette autochanger, Monkey Magic....... ;)