1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve Amos, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've become completely obsessed with setting up my system, help!!!

I've a Pioneer AX3, Kef 2005.2 with a Kef Q9c as the centre speaker and the original centre as a surround back to make a 6.1 speaker system.

As a complete newbie to speaker levels and EQ settings the MCACC setting on the AMP is great, but here comes the question. The Pioneer AMP thinks the Eggs are Large speakers, which seems a little odd as they are definitely small!!

When set to large the sound is better at low to moderate levels, i.e. below approx. -5db, above this it's difficult to tell the difference but deppending on the source it can distort above 0db. When set to small it will go to 12db with no problems, but I'm not sure it sounds as good at normal levels. (note at 12db I thnk I would go deaf very quickly)

Now common sense tells me the speakers should be set to small, but I'm tempted to set to large as it does seem to sound better at everything but very high levels. The one thing putting me off is the long tem affect on the speakers.

2. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The speakers should be set to small, no debate if they are set to large your telling your amp to send base signals the sub should be handling to the eggs.
    As you have a new larger center setting that to large and the main and rears to small should be your best bet
    In what way do you think the speakers sound better when set to large ??? i find it very bizarre you come to this conclusion.
    You may need to tweak your sub settings to better integrate the sub to your speakers :confused:

3. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The overall sound has more depth when set to large, but you could be right in saying that a lttle more effort with the sub settings might improve on this.

What I find strange is that the Pioneer amp thinks the Eggs are large speakers. Any idea how it decides if a speaker is small or large?

Unfortunately the amp doesn't allow you to set the centre to large and everything else to small. Also, the sub was set to Plus which routes the base signals to the sub as well.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It might be better to ask this question in the amp forum as that is where the Pioneer experts gather.