1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker setup - what speakers ? ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jibber, May 6, 2005.

1. jibber

jibber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right i pose a question here...

i have a sony home cimema amp and reciever..

but i do want to get a proper speaker set up for this however....

i have two young children who would tamper with the floor standing speakers hence i need to get the speakers off the ground and on to wall brackets etc..

can anyone suggest a nice small compact speaker setup which is not of the price scale of the bose price range (i.e £4k)

i'm only after a 5.1 setup, so two rears, two fronts and a center front speaker

look forward to researching into some speaker packages.. :)..

Jibber.

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sounds like you're after a sub-sat package, so you're pretty much spoilt for choice at the moment. Depending on how much you want to spend and your music/cinema usage, you may want to consider packages such as:

Mordaunt Short Genies,
    Kef 2005.2 (eggs)
    Monitor Audio Radius
    Tannoy FX
    Castle Compacts (?)

and I'm sure others can add more. Do a search on the forums for each, and you should find a wealth of information, comparisions, preferences, etc.

If you post your size/ usage/ price considerations, I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations from other forum members.

My personal preference was for the Kef 2005.2 package (which IMO look the best of the above speakers, even though they've since been beaten into second place performance wise ... others may disagree ...). I've replaced the front three recently with larger speakers, as I moved house and had more space available to me, and must admit that the eggs can't touch the larger floorstanders for sound quality.

Alternatively, you could got for small bookshelf speakers, and mount those on the wall, but I'm afraid my knowledge of those is limited.

Just as an observation, my floorstanders aren't particularly interesting to my 3 year old. He had a look when I first installed them, was told not to touch and now doesn't give them a second glance (or touch). Guess I'm just lucky! (or is that just tempting fate?)

Balders.

3. PeterKay

PeterKay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not go and demo:

Mordaunt Short Genie
    Mission M cube

Or

Monitor Audio Radius 90 x4, 180, x1 and 360 sub

Used the Radius for about 6 months will worth the money and very cool

Hope that helps

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    There is also the canton cd1 on special offer in the power buy section at the moment and if you have more money to spend you should also look/demo some of the M&K series of speaker systems.
    http://www.mksound.com/whatsnew.htm

5. jibber

jibber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks chaps..

i'll get looking into the matter of which speakers to get....

i have two children one who's 4 and one who's 1, my eldest is fine and does not bother with things but my youngest is just challenging our authority at present..., everything we try and do just does not work.., he clibs like a monkey, moves things around the room all sorts go on, i just can't wait till he's a little older and has things he really likes which we can take away if he's naughty...

i just want to make the right desiciion as far as speakers go hence why i'm taking my time..

also for the speakers commmented above what kind of price range are these makes in ?..

Jibber.

6. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    my son is two and has just destroyed one of my mission 774 speakers by pushing it over. I think you are making the right choice