• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker setup / soundbar options?

Shakka1

Hi all.

Ive been away for a while for a number of reasons. However I an back having purchased a new television. I researched best I could to make an informed decision!

I have a Sony 65 inch x90c (kdx9005c) on order and can't wait for it to arrive. It will be wall mounted.

I'm getting a new AV unit for the sky (hopefully soon to be 4k sky box) / ps4 / apple TV / router. I am thinking of the IKEA besta range but undecided.

My biggest quandry is sound.

I don't know whether to go down the soundbar option or alternatively an AV receiver with separate speakers. I really didn't want to spend much more than £600....

Can I call upon your expertise for advice / suggestions??

Cheers!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
An avr with 5.1 package will give you better connectivity, better sound quality, surround sound and easier/cheaper to upgrade or replace in future. A soundbar will give you better sound than the tv but not going to give you surround sound.

Shakka1

I did think that myself. I've been drawn to the

- Sony ht-rt5 5.1 sound bar with the wireless rear speakers

Or

- Sony ht-nt3 2.1 sound bar

They appear very similar with the exception of the rear speakers. I note the nt3 has the new high resolution audio and Spotify connect......

I'm also confused with the ARC HDMI connection. If you connect the sources (sky / ps4) to the TV via HDMI directly and not via the sound bar, but also connect the soundbar via the ARC HDMI - does the sound bar provide the same quality of sound as connecting the sources directly to the sound bar via hdmi? Or is there a loss going via TV to soundbar?

leedebs

I did think that myself. I've been drawn to the

- Sony ht-rt5 5.1 sound bar with the wireless rear speakers

Or

- Sony ht-nt3 2.1 sound bar

They appear very similar with the exception of the rear speakers. I note the nt3 has the new high resolution audio and Spotify connect......

I'm also confused with the ARC HDMI connection. If you connect the sources (sky / ps4) to the TV via HDMI directly and not via the sound bar, but also connect the soundbar via the ARC HDMI - does the sound bar provide the same quality of sound as connecting the sources directly to the sound bar via hdmi? Or is there a loss going via TV to soundbar?
+1 I would also like to know this
I am also looking at the ht-rt5

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The problem with connecting to the TV and then ARC to soundbar is that a lot of TVs will not pass 5.1 from a HDMI input to the ARC output. Also ARC is limited to SD audio so new HD audio formats would also not be able to be played via the soundbar in this configuration.
That said, the 5.1 thing is not a real issue if you only have a soundbar with no rear speakers since it is effectively a stereo device anyway and the difference between SD/HD audio is not large and probably not something you would notice on a soundbar anyway.

Bbos37

I have set up the Sony sound bar in my uncle's condo and sounds pretty good, but your sitting position should be at least 4 ft from the rear wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom