Speaker Setup Help Please !!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iang27, Jan 16, 2008.

1. iang27

iang27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am having setup problems regarding sound and effects using my Onkyo 705 receiver, Kef 2005 eggs and Rel Q200 sub.

In the shop the 705 sounded great, the effects on transformers could be heard from each speaker as the soundstage moved.

I have 7 kef 2005 eggs with the rear 2 set as the one rear channel. I also have a REL Q200 amp which the shop said was MUCH better than the one they were using as were the speakers.

Using the Audessey setup the left and right speakers were set at 100hz, the centre at 90hz, side L&R 100hz , rears 120hz and the sub at 120hz.

To me there seems to be very few sound effects being heard, it just does not sound right.

I phoned two respected local audio shops. The first said to set all the speakers AND the sub to 80hz while the second shop said to set all the speakers to 100hz and the sub to 120hz. The front l & r speakers are set to -5db, the centre, sides and rear are -3db. The Sub is -10db( I think the choice is 0db, -10db, -20db and 00db ? ) They BOTH said not to use the Audessey ??

The sub is plugged into the sub phono socket on the receiver and goes into the back of the sub to the 0db phono socket. There is a switch that says 1= Line, 2= LFE.( The other 2 are 180dg) I presume that it should be set to LFE ?
    There is a lo-level knob that goes from 0 to 109khz, where should this be set to, I cannot really see, feel or hear much difference wherever this is set to !!
    I was told the hi-level does nothing because I am not using the netric connector ?

I have even tried turning up the side and rear speakers but the effects are still not convincing.

A friend has a cheapish £200 complete home cinema package and the effects from his sound great. Mine cost about 8 times his so should be much better !!!

Any advice appreciated, especially regarding what hz to set the Kef eggs and sub to.

I also still cannot get rid of the 5 second sound delay when changing tv channels, the sound goes off then a few seconds later it returns and also there is an echo effect which can be heard if a tv is on upstairs (My Denon did not do this ? )

Thanks

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Basics.
    As you have KEF eggs.
    Set the AV amp to all speakers = Small, this allows all LFE effects to go to the sub even in stereo.
    Set the crossover to 100Hz and set the sub to 100Hz, thats the knob on the back.
    Set all speakers to 0dB at first.
    Run a good sound effects DVD, sit back and listen for a while, tweek the Sub volume on the sub to get a good overall balance, i.e. not overpowering and it drowns out the Kefs.
    I would leave the three fronts on 0dB with possibly upping the centre a tad as this is the key speaker to the whole system.
    Tweek the rears possibly downwards in dB if you are sitting too close to them.
    Remember your settings?
    If your AV amp has a auto setup connect the microphone and place it were you sit, run the auto setup and check how far you were away from getting it right manually.
    The sub 180 switch changes the sub from in phase to out of phase with your Kefs. i.e. if you had a mono source playing through your AV system with ALL speakers being driven all the speaker cones would react the same, either pushing out or in, in unision. That is why it is important that the sats also have their + and - connections the correct way round.

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Forgot to state, when setting up manually do not forget to set the distances your speakers are from you, normally in metres.

4. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I would have thought the Audyssey auto setup should have made a good enough job for it to sound a lot better than an all in one system.
    What are you actually listening to?
    Is it DVD, freeview, SKY etc? Is the problem the same with all sources?
    This might seem blindingly obvious, but have you checked your amp is set up properly in terms of sound mode? i.e. is it actually playing DD 5.1 or DTS from DVD and PLII or whatever for stereo sources?

5. iang27

iang27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I use the system mainly for Sky and Sky hd both in normal audio (Amp shows Pro Logic 2) and sky movies in DD, which changes to Dolby Digital EX when a DD fim is being shown.

When playing a dvd the display shows dolby digital also plus I can change it to neo 6, etc etc etc.

It is not that it sounds 'bad', just the effects do not seem to go around the room like they do on other systems that I have heard.

So you reckon set all the speakers including the sub to 100hz ?

Thanks

6. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    On the sub, I would set Lo Level to about half to start with, Mode to 2 (LFE 0 phase, crossover disabled), and use the 0dB Lo Input.

Check that the speaker impedance setting on the amp is set to 6 ohm (speakers are 8 ohm).

Use the Audyssey setup, and try to turn off any unnecessary equipment in the room to try to remove as much ambient noise as possible (some people recommend doing the setup late at night). What has also been recommended is to measure only 2 seating positions, but with a 3rd point inbetween, then to measure another 3 points about a metre in front of each of the first 3 positions. Mount the mic on a tripod so that it is at ear height. Russ.Wills has posted in the past on how he gets the best from Audyssey (It sometimes involves moving the actual chairs which is something to do with stopping reflections)

After Audyssey is complete, go in to the speaker settings and set the crossovers for all the speakers and the sub to be the same. I use 80Hz on my SVS speakers, but as you have KEF eggs maybe start with 90 or 100Hz. There is no Small/Large speaker option on the Onkyos, specifying a crossover rather than "Full Range" sets them to small. We have disabled the crossover on the sub and are relying on the amp to handle it.

If you have an SPL meter, you can check the levels using the inbuilt test tone and tweak them. Also with an SPL meter, if you have a PC available with a line in connection you can try running REW to help with positioning the sub and to experiment with 0 or 180 degree phase to potentially cure a dip in the response around the crossover region (where the speakers and sub are out of phase and cancel each other out)

Edit: Where you say you have the rear as one channel, how have you got them connected? To the surround back left and right or both to 1?

7. iang27

iang27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The rears are wired with separate cables but on the receiver I have chosen the 1 speaker option or whatever it is called.

I will try these setups and see if the soundstage improves.

What does the dimension and panarama options do ?

8. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The "Surr Back Ch" option is if you are 6.1 (1 ch, speaker connected to surround back left) or 7.1 (2 ch speakers connected to surround back left and right). As you are 7.1, you should set it to 2ch.

If you do the auto setup, I believe it should set these automatically (I'm guessing it is the same as the 875). When doing the first seating position it polls all 8 speakers and then highlights which speakers it has found.

Looking at the manual (page 86), the dimension and panorama settings are related to the soundstage when using a 2 channel source.

9. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I found the post by Russell on his way of setting up Audyssey. It was in the Sub forum here.