Speaker setup/ Cable Problems

kamikaze worm

Standard Member
I have a question regarding audio equipment and cables. I basically use a load of audio equipment to play music at parties.

Current setup
Currently have a laptop with a basic USB sound card connected. From this usb card I run a 3 in 1 cable (not sure of name of cable its used for 5.1 speakers green orange and black coloured jacks) which connects to a PC 5.1 subwoofer and then I have 5 speakers coming off the subwoofer.

New Setup
I am about to buy an amp and 2 DJ speakers (produces better sound). I know the 2 speakers go into the amp (which is powered) by problem comes in how I connect the sound card (laptop) to the amp. What sort of cable do I need? Back of amp output is RCA.

Many thanks for any help.
Kamikaze Worm

P.S - First post :clap: so hello everyone on these forums :hiya:

Last edited:

evans

Novice Member
good day

There is no way to connect your pc to the amp with usb cable you will have to buy an external DAC like the cambride audio dacmagic or beresford. These have USB input and from there with analogue cables connect to your amp.

kamikaze worm

Standard Member
I have been told that I can use a cable which is a RCA to Jack (RCA out of AMP and other end jack into soundcard/laptop/MP3 player) but was unsure on

1.weather it would work :rolleyes:
2. what the sound quality w ould be like. :smashin: :thumbsdow

Many thanks

Kamikaze Worm

evans

Novice Member
i used this type of connection to connect an old sony walkman to my amp and it works okay but really you need a DAC for better results. Now i use a media player connected to a DACmagic then to my amp. Before i used my pc and a program called foobar2000 , do a google its free. It can play most formats. Also if you want to use windows without any processing from any software you need ASIO for all driver installed and then intergrated with your player (foobar2000 under preference, playback and then set output device).

its up to you and your budget m8

kamikaze worm

Standard Member
Forgive my ignorance but whats a DAC? :confused:

Im not up on audio stuff just want something better for party's than the 5.1 PC speakers I am using.

evans

Novice Member
its a digital to analogue converter, every cd player has one and every pc sound card as well. basically all files you have on your pc are digital , zeros and ones. if you use your pc as a source instead of a cd player and use an external DAC to hook it up via usb cable then the DAC will convert the zeros and ones to analogue signal which in turn will be fed to your amp. You dont need an external dac like the dacmagic if you buy the cable you mention in your last post, but sound quality wont be as good unless you buy a DAC. I would buy a cable first try it and see if the sound is good to your amp, if not then only choice for you is an external dac fed via usb cable from your pc.

evans

Novice Member
I mentioned this to you earlier, you use your pc to play the audio file and install the Asio for all driver in foobar. you connect yur USB cable to the DAC ; from the DAC you conenct analogue cables to your amp and your done:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom