Speaker setup advice pls.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Filski, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Filski

Filski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look through the forum but couldn't find an answer. Essentially I bought a new samsung LCD TV. As expected the sound is rubbish from the internals so I need to set up a speaker system.

I'm wondering what it is I need exactly. I have a set of speakers and powered subby from my computer that I've connected via a 3.5" to the audio out on the back of the TV. The volume cannot be controlled via the TV though, only on the volume knob on the speakers. Is it possible to change this?

I don't mind buying a cheap (circa £100) 2.1 set if I need to. A full set speakers will be purchased eventually but I need to make do just for now.

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I don't own them but I read that a few people like the Acoustic Energy Aego M, there's a thread if you search in here for 2.1 speakers.

3. Filski

Filski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'll take a look. Would the volume be controlled via the TV remote or a dial on the speakers? I'm starting to wonder if I'm going about this the wrong way.

4. Samurai303

Samurai303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would have though that if the TV can't control the volume on your computer speakers then it won't on any others either as this is a function of the TV & not the speakers that are plugged into it.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Not that familiar with the setup you have but most TV's with external outputs have a menu item that allows you to select whether this output is 'Fixed' or 'Variable'. You want it set to variable.

If that doesn't work then connect the amp/speakers to the Headphone output of the TV.

There should also be a menu setting so you internal TV speakers can be On or Off. Usually, the options are Internal, External, or Both.

Hope that helps.

Steve/BlueWizard

6. Filski

Filski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. Now I just have to find this in the menu. No luck so far. It's the samsung 32" R87 series.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    never come across a TV that can use its volume control to operate the external output for speakers, only the internal speaker setup......simple reason being if you turned up the volume on the TV for the speakers connect via the 3.5mm output, then the TV's own speakers would get louder as well and this would sound horrible....lol

'fraid the best chance you got is to get a 2.1 system that can be operated by remote and use a learning remote to operate both that and the TV....

edit: possibly what the guy further up said is true and some speakers let you turn off the internal speakers completely and have a variable output on the external output, but i've never come across it myself, possibly its on the more expensive models....