1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker settings sony 1080

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cuthbertson74, Oct 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok, I know this has come up a million times already, but I'm a bit slow like that....

can anyone tell me, in laymans terms, as in which buttons to press, which knobs to twiddle, in which order, to set up my speakers to this mystical 75db levelon my sony 1080 amp...

i think I've just read too much about it now....

is it that I go into each speakers level (which is defaulted at 0bd), go through the test tones so that each speaker records 75db on a sound metre, by adjusting the sound levels up/down from 0bd?

or is there something else I need to set first?

also not too sure about all the equaliser options, ie db & hz measurements for bass, mid & treble for front, centre and surrounds....is there a good starting point to aim for here?

cheers again, you helpful people.

Iain

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basicly thats all you have to do, set the SLM to C weighting, response to slow and set speakers levels so they all read 75db/85db at the listening position. Hold the meter upright, don't point it at each speaker.

3. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    blimey - that was quick.

I think where I'm getting confused is, what should the actual volume be when doing this? 0db as well?

Cheers,
    Iain

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you are using the test tones on the amp does the volume read 0db?

If it does then just set the speaker levels from there to 75db/85db, you don't have to touch the volume.

If you use the test tones on the amp and the volume doesn't read 0db but shows a different reading, something like -45db, then set the volume up manually so it reads 0db and adjust the speaker levels from there.

5. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for that. that was indeed where I was getting confused, ie all the times *just set your speaker levels to 75db* is mentioned in here, the question of actual volume always seemed an unmentioned variable (although thinking about it 0db does of course seem the obvious setting.)

Any tips on the equaliser settings? ;-)

Iain

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know much about the Sony amp and it's equaliser settings, a member with the same amp will be able to point you in the right direction there, but if they act in anyway like the DSP modes I wouldn't touch them, I like things plain and simple, no extra processing if possible. ;)