1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker sets with centre line out?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sharp_aquos_man, Jul 13, 2004.

1. sharp_aquos_man

sharp_aquos_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello :),

I am trying to connect:

DVD Player with DTS Coaxial / Optical OUT
    |
    5.1 Decoder & Speakers (Not yet purchased)
    |
    Sharp Aquos AV Box (can accept Centre Channel Input via Phono)

I'm a newbie when it comes to speakers. I'm comfortable that most 5.1 packages can accept Coaxial and Optical IN. I guess they will all have speaker terminal outputs, but will they have a phono output for the centre channel? Is it a standard feature of 5.1 systems?

The Sharp Aquos AV Box will use the centre channel input to ensure that the large speaker beneath the LCD Panel will only output centre channel.

Any advice much appreciated!

Simon

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that I don't understand what it is that you are trying to do. I have had a look at the Sharp Aqua website and it is a masterful triumph of pretty web design over information and says nothing about the AV Centre at all

3. sharp_aquos_man

sharp_aquos_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,
    I've attached a scan showing what I want to do. I haven't bought the speaker and decoder yet.
    --Simon

Attached Files:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I now understand that you wish to use the Aquos internal speaker as a centre speaker but I am still not sure what the "AV Centre" is. If it is like the picture that you have scanned it will be an amplifier whereas I thought that it may have just been similar to a scart junction box.

To use the TV speakers as a centre speaker you will need to have the necessary connections on the TV to connect to the amp and it is very rare for these to have them.

In any event it isn't really advisable to do this as whilst I can understand you wanting less speakers around the place it is fairly important in surround sound that the front three speakers are tonally matched so that the sounds don't change as they pan from left to right. It is very unlikely that any speakers that you buy will sound similar to a TV speaker as they will have used different drivers and the cabinets will be different sizes and shapes.

5. sharp_aquos_man

sharp_aquos_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. To clarify, the Sharp AV box is not an amplifier. It is a unit which accepts incoming signals, from aerial, scart, composite, component, DVI... and then routes the signal to the television. That way, the Sharp LCD does not have dozens of cables connecting to the back of it (which is the way Philips LCD do it). There are three cables, supplied by Sharp as standard, connecting the AV Box to the telly, and this will transport all sound and video. It's not an amplifier as there are no options to do with sound, and the sound input is limited to the centre channel input. THanks again, your explanation makes sense regarding not using the television's speaker as a centre channel.