Speaker Set up for Open Room? Ceiling vs Standing Speakers w/ Room pics/specs & Speaker suggestions

Indian9990

Novice Member
Hi All,
I know this question has been asked a million times but I'd definitely love your feedback. I recently bought the TRS-700 from the Costco deal and have been looking for speakers to complete the system (Really want to get away from this dumb sound bar). I am fine with floor standing, in-wall/ceiling or combination of both. Ideally, I think I would need to do ceiling speakers for the rear just due to space restrictions. The other reason I like ceiling ones are because my house is pre-wired for them so I figured it would give it a cleaner look. My other confusion is because the house floor plan is pretty open concept so not sure which speakers would be better for this setup. Here is a pair I've been looking at from Costco which seems to be decent. Any thoughts? I'm open to other speakers which may be way better. I know black Friday is coming up so want to snag some that may be coming on sale.
(I mostly like Costco due to the return policy & warranty in case anything goes wrong with them)
Costco Speakers

Here is another set which also seem decent:
Second Speaker Set
Edit: Heard some B & W s at the store today and they sound amazing. Might start with two towers and go from there.

Room details are below.

Length: ~ 16 ft
Distance from Couch - TV: 13 ft
Ceiling Height: 10 Ft
TV Size: 65 in - Probably going to upgrade to a 75 soon

Room Pics (Apologizes for the mess, toys and such, my son takes over the living room from 7 am - 8 pm):

PXL_20201114_163438327.MP.jpg

PXL_20201114_163402416.MP.jpg

Full Room:
room_full_pic.PNG

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey! Lot of people there in US uses ceiling speakers as surround sides cause of the open plan dilemma. It´s not ideal placement for them, but they still add to the experience. Pick ceiling speakers that has aimable tweeters. You can example try to aim them toward the rear wall which makes them less localizable due to wall bounce.

I was going to mention larger standmount speakers on stands as front main speakers, but then i saw you have kids there so i assume you want sturdy floorstanding speakers. Even then i would make sure kids aren´t playing close to them! If you are considering Klipsches then try to get a demo for RP-6000F model or 5000F which is bit slimmer/smaller. The Adorama has old models with higher price than the new ones, consider other dealer! You don´t need the larger 8000F model which you linked! Keep in mind that these speakers are quite deep and you need to leave some space behind them. Don´t push them against wall/corner or they will sound! It´s good idea to go and see the size. You have to wall mount the new tv higher, i have linked the "matching" center channel(s) so you would pick either one of those. Same thing applies, those center chanels are rear ported so you don´t want them against wall. The height of your cabinet looks good as usually people have the center channel shooting knees inside cabinet, so this is better!

Amazon productAmazon product
You have lovely house, but also large open space and choosing subwoofer is going to be trickier especially if wife won´t accept any large box. You don´t have many options for placement. I think the front left area either by the end of that couch or front corner. You are so lucky with the options there in US for dedicated subwoofer manufacturers and i hope you don´t buy any package subwoofer from any local Costco or other supermarkets. You can get so much better product with good warranty and great support/service for good price. There will be black friday deals for speakers and also for subwoofers by every ID (Internet direct) companies, but if you can´t spend lot now then save up. Ideally i would say you would spend something around 800-1k$ if you want to be really blown away what kind of difference quality woofer can do your system. The large open space means you can really go wild if you can with the size. This HSU model is tricky to beat for value/performance - ideal to fill larger spaces, but there will be smaller and cheaper models on offer at BF in few weeks if this is too large. Sadly the subwoofer is often the first one to be upgraded when looking to make the next step with system so you need to think carefully.

Indian9990

Novice Member
Hey! Lot of people there in US uses ceiling speakers as surround sides cause of the open plan dilemma. It´s not ideal placement for them, but they still add to the experience. Pick ceiling speakers that has aimable tweeters. You can example try to aim them toward the rear wall which makes them less localizable due to wall bounce.

I was going to mention larger standmount speakers on stands as front main speakers, but then i saw you have kids there so i assume you want sturdy floorstanding speakers. Even then i would make sure kids aren´t playing close to them! If you are considering Klipsches then try to get a demo for RP-6000F model or 5000F which is bit slimmer/smaller. The Adorama has old models with higher price than the new ones, consider other dealer! You don´t need the larger 8000F model which you linked! Keep in mind that these speakers are quite deep and you need to leave some space behind them. Don´t push them against wall/corner or they will sound! It´s good idea to go and see the size. You have to wall mount the new tv higher, i have linked the "matching" center channel(s) so you would pick either one of those. Same thing applies, those center chanels are rear ported so you don´t want them against wall. The height of your cabinet looks good as usually people have the center channel shooting knees inside cabinet, so this is better!

You have lovely house, but also large open space and choosing subwoofer is going to be trickier especially if wife won´t accept any large box. You don´t have many options for placement. I think the front left area either by the end of that couch or front corner. You are so lucky with the options there in US for dedicated subwoofer manufacturers and i hope you don´t buy any package subwoofer from any local Costco or other supermarkets. You can get so much better product with good warranty and great support/service for good price. There will be black friday deals for speakers and also for subwoofers by every ID (Internet direct) companies, but if you can´t spend lot now then save up. Ideally i would say you would spend something around 800-1k$ if you want to be really blown away what kind of difference quality woofer can do your system. The large open space means you can really go wild if you can with the size. This HSU model is tricky to beat for value/performance - ideal to fill larger spaces, but there will be smaller and cheaper models on offer at BF in few weeks if this is too large. Sadly the subwoofer is often the first one to be upgraded when looking to make the next step with system so you need to think carefully.

Hey thanks so much for the response. It was very helpful. After doing some more search and checking out some of the audio stores here I'm starting to lean away from the Klipsches. I think a decent pair of speakers can easily last you 10+ years (May be a bit extreme). One thing that drew me towards the B&Ws is that even if I were to move and have a theater room in the next house then those would also be adequate there as well. So, I am leaning towards starting with a 3.1 system and building up from there. I liked the sound of the towers and I think I can keep them far enough away so the kid(s) can't reach them.

Having said that, do you have any recommendations for two solid towers and a center?

In terms of the sub, I was thinking towards the back left (by the couch where the side table is located). There is a decent amount of space there and a pre wire box so I could potentially save running a wire. I'll do some research on the HSU model. I did check out a store today and noticed the importance of the sub so I do not mind spending the extra money on it.

Conrad

Which B&Ws are you considering?

I've owned a number over the years, in both the 600 and 800 range.
My recommendation would be to go to the highest series you can afford, the 7 series is a big step up from the 6 series and the 8 series is another step up again.

You'll get better sound going for a small, higher series speaker and adding a sub than you will by going for a larger, lower range speaker.

So if you can afford the 705, they would be better (when paired with a sub) than 603s. That said, the 603s are great and I ran the older version (the 683) without a sub for a long time. Smaller speakers with a sub give you more placement options and will likely give you a better response overall.

You can also probably run without a centre for a bit if spreading the cost over time helps to buy better speakers now. Looking at your layout, your fronts won't be that far apart so you'll still get decent imaging.

I've heard of people mixing and matching the fronts and centres from within different B&W series, running 705 as front L/R and then running an 800 series center. I've never heard that set up but they share the same driver material and will have the same "house sound" so it'll likely be fine. Just don't mix older Nautilus with the kevlar driver with the newer continuum drivers.

Don't feel you need to match speaker and sub brands. Being in the US you have some amazing sub options. I've paired B&W 800 and 600 series speakers with both Velodyne and PSA subs with no issues. B&W subs don't offer great value, IMO.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey thanks so much for the response. It was very helpful. After doing some more search and checking out some of the audio stores here I'm starting to lean away from the Klipsches. I think a decent pair of speakers can easily last you 10+ years (May be a bit extreme). One thing that drew me towards the B&Ws is that even if I were to move and have a theater room in the next house then those would also be adequate there as well. So, I am leaning towards starting with a 3.1 system and building up from there. I liked the sound of the towers and I think I can keep them far enough away so the kid(s) can't reach them.

Having said that, do you have any recommendations for two solid towers and a center?

In terms of the sub, I was thinking towards the back left (by the couch where the side table is located). There is a decent amount of space there and a pre wire box so I could potentially save running a wire. I'll do some research on the HSU model. I did check out a store today and noticed the importance of the sub so I do not mind spending the extra money on it.

By all means, you said you heard some B&Ws and liked how they sounded so why not! I assume you heard the B&W 603 towers? They are now on sale because the new 603 S2 Anniversary came out. Just a little refresh with lots of hype.

@Conrad. I would have considered standmount models too, but i assume he wants towers cause of kids are playing there so they would be little safer perhaps. Also most people (you & me included) prefer the looks of floorstanders. ;) But yeah 706 S2 would have been great with the 3-way HTM 71 S2 center channel. The comparisons i have read for 705 S2 vs. 706 S2 people say save your money and go with the latter cheaper one. The only difference is the tweeter is raised on the top like you have in 800 serie. I guess for some golden ear audiophile it could make enough difference, but for movie rig probably better use that 1k$ elsewhere. The price difference is noticeable (3000$ vs 2000$ for raised tweeter). 😕

603 costs 1400$/pair on sale (603 S2 Anniversary 2k$). The white finish is stunning!

HTM 6 center channel on sale. Shame B&W didn´t introduce 3-way model like for earlier gen.

@Indian9990 Ideally you would try the sub at front and rear preferably (the left side). You will get more impact with the woofer near couch but it could still locate bit annoyingly..

Indian9990

Novice Member
Which B&Ws are you considering?

I've owned a number over the years, in both the 600 and 800 range.
My recommendation would be to go to the highest series you can afford, the 7 series is a big step up from the 6 series and the 8 series is another step up again.

You'll get better sound going for a small, higher series speaker and adding a sub than you will by going for a larger, lower range speaker.

So if you can afford the 705, they would be better (when paired with a sub) than 603s. That said, the 603s are great and I ran the older version (the 683) without a sub for a long time. Smaller speakers with a sub give you more placement options and will likely give you a better response overall.

You can also probably run without a centre for a bit if spreading the cost over time helps to buy better speakers now. Looking at your layout, your fronts won't be that far apart so you'll still get decent imaging.

I've heard of people mixing and matching the fronts and centres from within different B&W series, running 705 as front L/R and then running an 800 series center. I've never heard that set up but they share the same driver material and will have the same "house sound" so it'll likely be fine. Just don't mix older Nautilus with the kevlar driver with the newer continuum drivers.

Don't feel you need to match speaker and sub brands. Being in the US you have some amazing sub options. I've paired B&W 800 and 600 series speakers with both Velodyne and PSA subs with no issues. B&W subs don't offer great value, IMO.

Well I heard the 603s in store and they sounded great. I know that those are going to be "out dated" shortly as the 700s and 800s are already out. I haven't been able to find the 700s in the store to hear them. I will keep searching though. Is there really that much of a noticeable difference?

Your second point of smaller, higher series speaker and adding a sub - Are you referring to the 705 vs 702 or 703? I am leaning towards the full towers just due not having to worry about the kids knocking them over. ~50 lbs vs ~20 lbs. But I can be convinced to just get the stand mounted ones. I'll just give the kids up for adoption if they knock them over (jk!).

By all means, you said you heard some B&Ws and liked how they sounded so why not! I assume you heard the B&W 603 towers? They are now on sale because the new 603 S2 Anniversary came out. Just a little refresh with lots of hype.

@Conrad. I would have considered standmount models too, but i assume he wants towers cause of kids are playing there so they would be little safer perhaps. Also most people (you & me included) prefer the looks of floorstanders. ;) But yeah 706 S2 would have been great with the 3-way HTM 71 S2 center channel. The comparisons i have read for 705 S2 vs. 706 S2 people say save your money and go with the latter cheaper one. The only difference is the tweeter is raised on the top like you have in 800 serie. I guess for some golden ear audiophile it could make enough difference, but for movie rig probably better use that 1k$ elsewhere. The price difference is noticeable (3000$ vs 2000$ for raised tweeter). 😕

603 costs 1400$/pair on sale (603 S2 Anniversary 2k$). The white finish is stunning!

HTM 6 center channel on sale. Shame B&W didn´t introduce 3-way model like for earlier gen.

@Indian9990 Ideally you would try the sub at front and rear preferably (the left side). You will get more impact with the woofer near couch but it could still locate bit annoyingly..

Is it worth it to get the 603s now or shell out the extra cash now to get a longer term investment with the 700s series?

I do like the look of the stand mount speakers. I guess I assumed the towers would produce a better output. I heard bad reviews about the white because when you're watching a movie at night the light beams off them which kinda seemed to ruin the affect for some people.

Oh okay, so it'd be two subs? One in the front and one in the back? The back would definitely be a tight fit but I can move the couches around a bit (I say that until I ask the wife about it...).

Conrad

B&W Series run in parallel, so the 700 series isn't a replacement for the 600 series. Think of it like cars. You have the BMW 1, 2, and 3 series, but within each of those you have different model designations.

The 700s have upgraded drivers and components over the 600s and the 800s have upgrades again over the 700s, both in components, drivers, and cabinets.

I didn't realise how much more expensive the 700s were than the 600s in the US though, that might put them out of budget. You could get a full 600 system and a couple of subs for the price of a 700 series front three!

If it's a primarily movie based system then the 600s are a huge amount of fun, they're just less delicate and articulate than the other series.

I guess you'd need to have a listen to decide whether it's worth it. I'd try and hear the 705s with subs if you can. Best Buy sell them so they might have them set up for a demo?

Floorstanders do produce more output and will have a lower frequency response. If you're using subs though this matters less.

Always two subs :) (at least)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Is it worth it to get the 603s now or shell out the extra cash now to get a longer term investment with the 700s series?

I do like the look of the stand mount speakers. I guess I assumed the towers would produce a better output. I heard bad reviews about the white because when you're watching a movie at night the light beams off them which kinda seemed to ruin the affect for some people.

Oh okay, so it'd be two subs? One in the front and one in the back? The back would definitely be a tight fit but I can move the couches around a bit (I say that until I ask the wife about it...).

Try to get a demo of 706 S2 against 603! This will instantly show you the difference. Don´t get hung up on the bass alone cause that won´t be issue with subwoofer there. B&W should be quite easily available in States so check their site for dealers. I would definitely go with the 700 range if funds allow cause you are getting better speakers, in short: better cabinet build & finish, better drivers, better audio crossover components/design. For me the deal breaker with 600 range would be the small 2-way MTM center channel. With 700 range you would pick the larger 3-way model HTM 71 S2 which would be worth every penny. Better performance, better sound quality with midrange driver, no lobing issues, better horizontal dispersion aswell.

Now that i have wrote this i remembered that you have basically 600$ receiver (identical to RX-V6A). I think you can still start with that, but in future you should consider something better.

No i meant one sub! Either in front or back. You have to listen which spot is better.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom