Speaker (Set) recommendation, pls

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by trinity, Jan 12, 2002.

1. trinity

trinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, newbie here

i am moving soon and checking now for new speakers for great dvd experiences :) but to be honest: i have no clue what kind of specifications good speakers should have. so a little help from you experts is really welcome.

i think i am going to buy a receiver from Denon and heared the AVR 3802 would be a good choice. but now to the speakers. any tips? or links where i can inform me?

thank you!

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Specifications are not really relevant in loudspeakers as what can look good on paper can sound terrible and vice versa. Whilst you can get away with buying an amp or DVD player on recommendation or magazine review there is much more variation between speakers and "good" is much more subjective.

The way to go is to draw up a short list and listen to them all. We can help with the shortlist but we would need to know budget and any specific style as many significant others refuse to allow any speakers larger than a matchbox in the house.

4. trinity

trinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would prefer small boxes, i don't like the big ones anymore. and i am living in a flat so a 1000w box would be senseless. poor neighbours ;)

design is a little bit hard to describe. i like simple designs, nothing special.

and budget ... hmm, good question. i have good contacts to get stuff cheaper then in shops. i don't need 'the best' speakers. so around 1000USD should be enough for 'good' speaders, right?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I imagine that as you are quoting a price in dollars you are in USA and not UK.

The current favourites in UK seem to be be the KEF KHT 2005 which are five small stylish satellite speakers plus a sub woofer (referred to in this forum as KEF eggs) but an alternative is the Def Tech Pro Cinema set up.

Your price budget is enough for "good" speakers but if you are buying a top receiver like the Denon 3802 you should try and buy the best that you can afford to partner it otherwise you won't get the best out of it.

6. trinity

trinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, i am not from the USA. i just didn't know from where the usual visitors from this board are coming. and USD is internationl. i am from switzerland.

ok, i will have a look at the to speakers set you recommended. thanx. and like i said, if i spent 1000USD a normal user needs to spend 1500 for the same thing. but you are probably right, i need speakers that are good enough for the receiver.

btw. thanx very much for your very quick reply, much appreciated :)

7. Antonio

Antonio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just gone through this myself. I strongly suggest that you have a few packages in mind and then go and listen carefully at a demo room facility. Bascially I found the B&W speakers a little lacking in bass, even the 603's, the Mission's, I found where appaling! At first I though it could be the amp, Denon AV3802, but when I listened to speakers that where in the £1200 braket they sounded absolutely fine. I then tried the new Kef Q series speakers, Q5 floor standers for the fronts, Q9c centre and Q8s for the rear's. The Q5's just blew away the Missions and B&W's in 2channel and for 5.1 and DTS where extremely impressive on this amp. Just remember though that sound is a personnal thing and one person's poison is anothers sugar! Hope this helps.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don´t forget the subwoofer, it is a must for movies, more so with small speakers... I prefer small speakers anyway, they are better for the same price, and easier to set in a living room...

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,861
    i demo'd the B&W CDM's.....and i thought they had enough bass..put it this way, with my setup, without a sub...my floor still shakes....my poor neighbours!!

10. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on your room size, budget etc. If you have a smallish room, them blowing £1000+ on a set of speakers is a waste of time as you'd never be able to use them to their full potential, never mind where to put them!

The Mission fs2-AV is extremely good value for money and needs a good amp to run it. It retails for £400-£450 and is very unobtrusive. Reviews on the link below.

11. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    I've gradually come round to thinking this way, too. My (floorstanding) speakers sounded really great in my dealer's demo room, but I just can't seem to get as good a sound in my living room. I did play around with a sub, which did produce some benefit, but there were other integration problems and I only had it on loan for a couple of days.

I disagree - you can get very high quality near-field monitors that would work well in a small room.

I think you can get a very good sound in most UK-sized living room if you couple the best small/monitor speakers you can with the best sub you can. Something like B&W CDM1/Dynaudio Audience 42/Kef RDM 2 or similar with a REL/B&W/Paradigm sub.

Of course, the best way to find out is to audition them yourself...

Cheers,
    Liam