Question Speaker service London celestion

Peteralev

Novice Member
I have a pair of Celestion UL6 with one of the speakers having no sound from the tweeter and sounds with “strong bass”. The other plays great.

Do you know any good repair store in London, which will know what to do and can be trusted..! If you have any to suggest please let me know.

Orobas

I have a pair of Celestion UL6 with one of the speakers having no sound from the tweeter and sounds with “strong bass”. The other plays great.

Do you know any good repair store in London, which will know what to do and can be trusted..! If you have any to suggest please let me know.
Tbh.. with a speaker of that age... you would be better off contacting Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics for a replacement driver. Most hifi shops these days will not even touch those old classics :(

Falcon - Falcon Acoustics | The Leading DIY Speaker Parts and Kit Supplier since 1972

Wilmslow Audio - Speaker Repair, Speaker Kits, Loudspeaker Repair, Kits and Drive Units, Subwoofer Amplifier Kit

Failing that... if you need to stay local.. there is always
London Sound - Hi-Fi Repair

Peteralev

Novice Member
Tbh.. with a speaker of that age... you would be better off contacting Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics for a replacement driver. Most hifi shops these days will not even touch those old classics :(

Falcon - Falcon Acoustics | The Leading DIY Speaker Parts and Kit Supplier since 1972

Wilmslow Audio - Speaker Repair, Speaker Kits, Loudspeaker Repair, Kits and Drive Units, Subwoofer Amplifier Kit

Failing that... if you need to stay local.. there is always
London Sound - Hi-Fi Repair
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and for your time, I will have a look!

In regards to London Sound, I came across previously but when I read some reviews I was a bit concerned, as some of them are quite bad. Have you tried them at all?

Another I found today is the below which seems to have good reviews, do you happen to know them?

Peteralev

Novice Member

Orobas

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and for your time, I will have a look!

In regards to London Sound, I came across previously but when I read some reviews I was a bit concerned, as some of them are quite bad. Have you tried them at all?

Another I found today is the below which seems to have good reviews, do you happen to know them?

Me .. no i havent sadly.. it was just from a local search i did.. I can more than vouch for Wilmslow and Falcon though! Wilmslow will even do a speaker MOT also... They would be my first port of call..

Peteralev

Novice Member
Me .. no i havent sadly.. it was just from a local search i did.. I can more than vouch for Wilmslow and Falcon though! Wilmslow will even do a speaker MOT also... They would be my first port of call..
Thanks again,that’s very helpful!

Orobas

Thanks again,that’s very helpful!
No worries.. It's good that you did your homework and checked for google reviews on the vendor. So many people dont these days. I trust you did note though that so many of those 1 star reviews were fake reviews though... although at least 1 of the multi-reviewers (one was a local guide i do believe did give him a bad review but on checking the 45 reviews he had left for other firms, confirms it seemed to be a legit review due to other venues he had been too!

dogfonos

I once owned the UL6 too. Not a bad speaker but several more recent aternatives improve upon it's sound quality. Would you consider ditching the UL6 and purchasing a (working) second hand speaker? Here's one such example:

A very popular speaker in it's day (2010 - 2015) so plenty of them on the pre-owned market.

Reason I suggest this approach is because you could end up spending close to the original UL6 RRP (~£120 from memory?) fixing this speaker - if you send the whole speaker away for repair - whereas a better, more recent second hand speaker could cost less. If you want to keep the UL6 speakers, best bet would be to try and source a replacement tweeter and get it sent to you so you, or someone you know, could fit it. Probably involves a little soldering.

I've read that there were two versions of this tweeter, one 4 Ohms and one 8 Ohms. If that's the case, ensure you get the correct version.

Peteralev

Novice Member
I once owned the UL6 too. Not a bad speaker but several more recent aternatives improve upon it's sound quality. Would you consider ditching the UL6 and purchasing a (working) second hand speaker? Here's one such example:

A very popular speaker in it's day (2010 - 2015) so plenty of them on the pre-owned market.

Reason I suggest this approach is because you could end up spending close to the original UL6 RRP (~£120 from memory?) fixing this speaker - if you send the whole speaker away for repair - whereas a better, more recent second hand speaker could cost less. If you want to keep the UL6 speakers, best bet would be to try and source a replacement tweeter and get it sent to you so you, or someone you know, could fit it. Probably involves a little soldering.

I've read that there were two versions of this tweeter, one 4 Ohms and one 8 Ohms. If that's the case, ensure you get the correct version.
Thanks a lot for the info! I did not know that there were two versions so it’s a good point to have in mind. I have a few sets of speakers, some new and some vintage one’s, the reason I keep (and like) the UL6 is their style, I would not use them for everyday use. I will look to fix it when I will find the right place to get them serviced...!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom