1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker selection

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mat-Moo, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm after some advice for speaker selection for my PC. I'm currently running 2.1 (Boston Acoustics that I got with my old Gateway system, pretty good actually!), but I've decided that it's time to upgrade. I don't fancy spending more that £100 as it's mostly for games and MP3. I also would like to only go to 4.1 or 5.1 as 6.1/7.1 is just too many speakers for my little computer area! WHY and what do you think?

(Hmm should this be in PC gaming?, or Speakers and subwoofers!)

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got a set of those Altec Lansing ADA885MG sets from http://www.aria.co.uk - £55 plus VAT and delivery. THX certified, chunky 8" sub plus 4 satellite speakers - and it had a DD5.1 decoder on board too - centre channel runs as a phantom - quite well. The rear sats can be stacked on top of the front sats if you're short of desk space - they do some silly virtual surround thing. Nice little volume control on one of the front spkrs, plus a basic remote. You could quite happily plug them into a decoder free DVD player and get a cheap bedroom system out of it. Have a look here for a review....

PS - they do take analogue inputs if you don't have a coax out on your soundcard.

3. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That's one set I was seriously considering... just worried that 4.1 won't be enough of an upgrade.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Logitech Z560s (4.1) are brill IMHO.

Not sure if you'll get them for £100 though.

I'm currently using Z680s (5.1) & can't fault them, but they're >£200.

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horses for courses.
    Depends on what you intend to do with the system.

Personally I would go to Richer sounds or hyperfi and buy a cheap 5.1 amplifier and some cheap hifi speakers from there. They will without a doubt be far superior to any of the plastic offerings that PC speaker manufacturers come up with.

Horses for courses though. If you want a good 5.1 speaker system you aren't going to get one for £100. You generally get what you pay for and even the cheap option there will cost you about £100-£150 for the speakers and about the same again for the amp (finger in the air rough estimate).

Cheers
    John

6. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    These are to go in my home office so I'm not after super quailty expensive stuff, just something normal, but was after advise as to what people have :) I seen the logitech 4.1 for £150 and was tempted, but don't know if I can justify it... so it may be the Altec's at the moment.