1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker selection

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dave, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few Questions with regard to which speakers to purchase for my HC set-up. First off a bit of background info on the room size etc etc. The lounge is 14ft x 12ft the floor is concrete with acoustic underlay and laminate flooring covering it, also as I live in a 1st Flr maisonette my volume levels will never be reaching ground shaking levels. I have narrowed down my selection to 3 different speaker makes, all floorstanding and available in lightwood finishes (as the lounge is now awash with beech furniture, flooring and the wife would never go for a couple on monolith black speakers tucked in each corner). After much debating I narrowed the choice down to :
    Tannoy Mx3
    Kef Cresta 3
    Yamaha NS 200
    Now I know the best way to make a choice is to have a demo of the various speakers (which I will hopefully, work permitting), but I would appreciate your feedback if you have any of these speakers in your set-up and your thoughts about them. What I'm looking for is a good all round speaker for movies and cd music playback (if that’s possible from a Sony 930 amp!). At present I'm using four 12 year old Kenwood speakers from my old pseudo surround Kenwwod Hi-fi. I can live with the rears for the time being and out of all the speakers I've chosen they all have smaller speakers in their range which can be used for rear speakers. My centre speaker I purchased a couple of months ago is a Solid (B&W).

My final question is with regard to a sub, as I live in a maisonette I thought I could never get away with one rumbling away in the corner, but one of my friends appeared last week cradling his sub in his arms and connected it up to my system and we spent an enjoyable evening playing back "action segments" from various DVD's and all I can say is WOW even with my naff speakers the enjoyment of watching was increased tenfold. I was thinking of purchasing the Yamaha YST-SW90 or do you think I could get away with the YST-SW45 (which outputs 70 watts) due to the size of my lounge.
    Phew! I think I've covered everything I wanted to say, as I said earlier if you have any views on my selections I would be glad of your feedback.

Dave

2. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

I'm afraid I'm not much help to you as I'm pretty new to this game. In September I bought a Yamaha 596 receiver and just this morning I received delivery of my Kef Cresta package.

I had spent the last two months having demo's after demos of different makes and combinations of speakers until I finally opted for the Crestas.

The only advice I can give you is that I wanted floorstanding speakers for the fronts as well. They sounded great, but my livingroom is 17' x 12' and as soon as I connected the sub to the receiver, the setup sounded dreadful, there was far too much bass. I think with your room being slightly smaller, you will run into the same problem. In the end I decided to go for the Cresta 2's for the fronts, which are the same as the 3's except they are stand mountable and not floorstanding. The difference these made was massive, they still deliver good bass, but with the sub running along side them, the sound is far more realistic.

Good luck

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You should match your fronts with the center to achieve a tonal match, ie the fronts to be purchased shall be of the same make and series.
    Else I recommend you will need to buy a matching center with the new front speakers.

Of course you can ignore or somehow compromise here, just a general advise ...

The rest comes down to listening / auditioning the speakers you have in mind, ask your dealer for a 'at-home' demo so you can see (hear) if it works good with your kit and in your room.

4. Dave

Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies, Gordon I think you might have a point there, I did think about going for something smaller, as to getting some speakers to match the center, maybe if I can track some down. Hopefully come this weekend I'll be able to get out and try a few shops and get some demo's (fingers crossed).