Question Speaker Selection/Placement & Dolby Atmos

TennisAce85

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m about to renovate my home theater room as my entire basement unfortunately got flooded earlier this spring. I’d like to make some improvements on my existing setup which is a 5.1 bookshelf based setup composed of JBL bookshelves (E30) and an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer with a Pioneer 1018-AH-K receiver. I believe I got my subwoofer out in time to save it from the water, but I won’t know if it did survive until later this summer when I test it out.

Here’s the room plan for my future room (7.2.4), speaker placement in the seating area are subject to change depending on what I go for in terms or setup, hoping you guys can help with that.

Usage will be evenly split between Movies/Gaming/TV. Listening to music only is something I do maybe once or twice a year, so I don’t see it as being a big factor for my setup. In terms of budget, I’m trying to keep this around 7K (speakers + receiver), but I can stretch to 10K if it’s worth it. To me, it’s all about the value. If an extra K means I’m that much more satisfied with the setup, then I’ll go for it, but I don’t want to overspend on something I will see no added value for. I want the best setup for my room, if it’s 5.2.2 rather than 7.2.4, then that’s fine, no point in adding speaker if the ROI is null.

The speaker brands I have easy access to (I’m in Canada) are SVS, Klipsch, Paradigm & KEF. Based on what I heard so far, I’m thinking of going for SVS Ultra Bookshelf based setup with SVS Ultra Surround + Prime Elevations. I did audition the Paradigm Prestige line, which I thought was a bit bright, but I do love the finish and the 55C center channel (always wanted a huge center channel!). Klipsch RP series, nice detailed sound, but again a bit too bright, could be because it was paired with a Yamaha amp? KEF, well I heard the Q series and the R series. Loved the R sound, but it’s probably out of my budget (towers)., Q sounded good, but not better than SVS I think. So right now SVS is my front runner, but that doesn't mean I can't be persuaded to go for something else if it's going to suit my needs better (open to suggestions)

So, based on all of this, I have some questions which I really hope you guys can help me with so I can finalize my plan.

1) One of the sales guy I talked to said towers are overkill if I don’t listen to music? In my case, it comes down to either bookshelves in the front + 2 subs, or towers + 1 sub. For my application, what would yield the best results ?
2) Is 7.1 really worth it if my seats are at a maximum of 36” from the back wall? Given I’ll likely end up with a 75” 4K display, I don’t think I can really move my seats more in front than that. Before, they used to be about 18” from the back wall, and I thought it was just perfect.
3) I did a lot of research in the last couple of weeks, but can’t seem to get a clear answer as far as Dolby Atmos implementations. Now my impression is, that the best implementation which is also my preferred one would be in-ceiling. With my room setup, should I go with 2 or 4 speakers? SVS only has elevation speakers which confuses me even more when it comes to placement. Which brands would match they’re sound for Atmos if I go in-ceiling? If I pick elevation speakers, I go with the Front/Rear height configuration? If I go with the side configuration, I have one speaker in my window? Or I move the seats back and forget 7.2? Help!! LOL. In an ideal world, I’d like to stay within the same brand for all speakers except the sub.
4) If I end up with a 7.2.4 setup, at that point, I pretty much need to look at the flagship models for AV Receivers. Are they enough or should I start thinking of going the pre-amp/amp route?
5) What is my best bet for surround channels? SVS Ultra Surround in duet mode? Or dedicated channels? Very confused about the whole bi-pole/di-pole/mono/duet mode etc.…
Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• HomeTheater_Future.png
    HomeTheater_Future.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 96
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom