• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker selection for home cinema set up

JJNR

Standard Member
Hi my mate has asked me to help him with his install. He has just bought a warehouse apartment in London and at the end of a big open space he has a raised area that he is reserving for TV viewing. The area is about 4m wide and 5 m long. He has just reserved a new panasonic 3d 50" TV set (not sure of model). He requires a speaker package for this area for TV and gaming (music already covered). I have an onkyo amp and kef speakers in my set up and they work brilliantly. However, the back of the TV area is a face brick wall which you cannot get any cables up or down and he doesn't want stands, so the rear left and right are wired as recessed ceiling speakers. My kef solution will not suffice for the rears. So, I'm after a 5.1 system which will be run via an onkyo amp (unless better options suggested) but with 2 rear recessed speakers. His bedget is flexible...I've suggested about £1000 for speakers and same for amp. Any thoughts please?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Kef speakers are deemed by most to be neutral in character so they would suit pretty much any amp/receiver manufacturer. They also do a large range of in-ceiling speakers but remember the rears don't have to match the front three. They only carry effects unless you're using them for multi-channel music you should be able to mix/match perfectly well. There are plenty of good quality in-ceiling speakers around. I use speakercraft in-walls for a bedroom setup, which I bought from an installer on the forum. Getting a demo of in-walls and in-ceiling can be difficult though, so best try a local installer. There are a few HERE. Just make sure the front three match and are ideally from the same range. I personally wouldn't limit your receiver choice to Onkyo. Yes, they offer a lot for the money but the other brands often supercede their audio quality which ultimately is the most important factor. Obviously this is all subjective and opinion so I would suggest visiting a dealer for a listen as otherwise he will end up with a system that you like, not him. Denon (1910/2310), Pioneer (LX52), Sony (3400ES), Yamaha (RX-V765/1065/2065) and Marantz (SR6004) all build receivers at the sort of price point you're looking at.

gareth_alien

Well, there are no sets of speakers with a pair being in-ceiling that I'm aware of. You're best bet is then to buy the speakers individually. A few different companies sell ceiling speakers, including Kef which have had good reviews. take a look: In Ceiling. These I know start at about £50 per speaker, so easily within the price range but note these ceiling speakers are often sold individually rather than in pairs
It's not too clear what type of speaker was required at the front but I'm assuming no stands and no wire on the walls means floorstanding. In which case as the rears are being bought seperatly you may want to research 'front' speaker ranges which sell you left, right and centre. Then a seperate sub would be required. With the price range you have the options are very wide and varied so a lot comes down to personal preference.

EDIT: Damn, Dave got there first!

Last edited:

JJNR

Standard Member
It's not too clear what type of speaker was required at the front but I'm assuming no stands and no wire on the walls means floorstanding. In which case as the rears are being bought seperatly you may want to research 'front' speaker ranges which sell you left, right and centre. Then a seperate sub would be required.

Thanks Gareth. the fronts will be wall mounted...i was hoping for something inconspicuous max 200mm at its longest/ widest point.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
MA Radius HD do a full range of speakers of various sizes. Kef 3005 and Focal Dome also worth an audition.

welshtommo

You are obviously looking for a sub/sat set up. If it helps, I recently demoed the Monitor Audio R90HD and R270HD, albeit with a different sub, Kef 3005 and B&W MT30. I used to own the Kef 5005.2. The MA 270HD setup blew them all out of the water. The 270 package is probably out of your budget however, imo, the R90s were also better than the rest. Better surround soundfield, better depth and detail and much better with music. As above, the Radius range comes in a variety of sizes and prices and I think they would be well worth an audition. Avoid the R45s though.

richsmif

Why do you say avoid the R45?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom