Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speaker Selection advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sonik_boom, Apr 23, 2005.

1. sonik_boom

sonik_boom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a home cinema setup that works well with music too. I should firstly mention the room size which is 17ftx12.

I have been looking at getting either the Arcam AVR300 or the Denon 3805 together with either the Arcam DV78 or the Denon DVD-2910. The thing I have not managed to decide on is the speaker setup. I have listened to Monitor Audios silver series and Quad 22 speakers and found that they were very precise but lacked the bass I would have expected. I was trying to find out if anyone had tried any other 5.1 speaker setups upto £2000 that they would recommend for a more bassier sound.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    That may beg the question "What kind of bass were you expecting" as a well set up Quad system complete with subwoofer should provide bass in abundance.

The subwoofer doesn't have to match the other speakers so an alternative may be to look for five speakers from one manufacturer and a sub from another

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    What size of room do you have? When you say you were listening to the MA Silver Series and the Quad L series, what subwoofer were you using, if any? If you think you can get away without having a subwoofer because you have floorstanders at the front then think again. I havent heard a floorstander on the market, and I've heard a few, that will plumb the depths to quite the same degree as a good subwoofer. Recommendations for speaker packages would be as below:

Package 1: Epos M12.2 (Front), Epos M5 (Rear), Epos M8 (Centre), REL Strata (Subwoofer) Total: £1800

Package 2: Epos M15.2 (Front), Epos M5 (Rear), Epos M8 (Centre), REL Stampede (Subwoofer) Total: £2000

Package 3: Monitor Audio RS6 (Front), Monitor Audio RS1 (Rear), Monitor Audio RSLCR (Centre), REL Strata (Subwoofer) Total: £1900

Package 4: Monitor Audio RS6 (Front), Monitor Audio RSFX (Rear), Monitor Audio RSLCR (Centre), REL Strata (Subwoofer) Total: £1950

Package 5: Quad 12L (Front), Quad 11L (Rear), Quad L Centre (Centre), Quad L Subwoofer (Subwoofer) Total: £1900

4. sonik_boom

sonik_boom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The room is 17ft X 12ft. When listening to Quad 11's and 22 it was the Quad subwoofer that was used and whilst there was a difference in sound it wasn't as noticable as I would have expected. I don't if this was a problem with configuration so may try to get a demo again probably at a different store.

I just demo'd a set of speakers today which did blow me away albeit a bigger price tag but it was useful to draw comparisons. I tried the Definitive Technology Mthyos One Tower speaker with the equivalent centre and rear from the same manufacturer. A MK subwoofer was used which I thought was awesome. I will check the Epos speaker packages.

5. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sonik_boom,

Have you thought about a PMC set-up. The GB1's and DB1's as a start give a fantastic sound.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    In view of your later posts I would guess that the Quad package wasn't setup well or else they managed to only demo tracks with no bass content.

Like Dickster I am also a fan of PMC and a set of DB1 speakers all round with a different company's subwoofer should sound great with music as well as with films.

If you are willing to forgo some of the pretty looks of the consumer version in favour of the more utilitarian professional studio version have a look at Pro Audio Kit's website here and if you are interested, email them for a price as they are very competitive and DB1S+ all round will leave enough for a substantial subwoofer