1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker replacement - must the fronts match the centre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by barnabybear, Oct 31, 2003.

1. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    May I ask - is the following something I can do, or is it unadvisable.

At the moment I have a Yamaha sub sat speaker set. Now in the instructions for the amp, it suggests that your speakers should all match - ideally the same make, but in the next paragraph, it states that when connecting your amp up, you will probably be using your existing HiFi speakers.

What I'm wondering is - my sats sound OK, but for the front left and right, I COULD use my old HiFi ones - they are some Panasonic ones from one of those micro systems - but they should sound better than the little sats. (He thinks)

Is this advisable - the thing is, I'm a newbie at this, and frankly the instructions have confused me - can I use different L/R fronts to the centre, or must the centre and L/R speakers match?

Thanks in advance - any thoughts are welcome.

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The best thing you can do is try it.But its better when the front 3 do match.

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    There is no doubt you will get a better sound when all your speakers match - you get a smoother passage of sound as it moves across the soundfield.

4. mr_blah

mr_blah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, but i have recently matched mine up and already i can tell the difference, it's better having the three all the same.