Question Speaker repairs

replican

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My son has asked me to try and get his speakers repaired for him (Xmas present). They are KEF Q700's. Please bare with me as i'm not at all up on the jargon but there appears to be damage to the second cone down on each speaker. There are a series of splits in the rubbers surrounding both of these cones in each speaker. He is complaining of a rattle when the volume is increased. Would these splits be the cause and if so where in the North West could I get them repaired. Thanks in advance for any help offered

I don't own KEF Q700 speakers so I hope an owner can comment too but I would imagine (bit of a guess) that the second cone from top is the powered driver and the two passive drivers sit below it.

Surely too much of a coincidence that both driven cones exhibit the same damage? How likely is that damage to have been caused by external means? Makes me think this damage may be the result of the speakers being overdriven at some point in their lives?

Has your son owned them from new? If so, it would be best to try and determine cause of damage before they are repaired because I fear they could end up damaged again. Does he genuinely not know how the damage came about? Have you tried thumbscrews (kidding)?

The 'rattle' could be caused by the driver cone surround damage though it could also be damaged voice coils which sit behind the cone (ties in with my overdriven theory) or even something else. If the 'rattle' is unconnected to the damaged drive units then replacing the damaged drivers alone could still leave you with a 'rattle'. Probably best get both speakers serviced and repaired KEF or a representative.

KEF offer UK support. Might be worth emailing them from this link:
KEF Contact Us - United Kingdom

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom